16GB of RAM, useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put 4GB in my new build, and it seems to suit me fine. Runs games smoothly, like Slaymate said I'm an average user so I don't need much. I think I will probably add the rest down the road though; at least to 8GB if not 16GB. I don't do a whole lot of multitasking either, so I guess it really comes down to what you will use it for, eh?

You should be just fine with 4GB, but more won't hurt you at all. I would just keep my eyes open for a sale on another identical set.

For the average user 16 GB is way too much. While you are thinking you may be 'future' proofing your machine you aren't. The reason is by the time the average user may use that the speeds and specs of the RAM will be different in 5 years so you'll want different RAM anyways.

The only reason you would need that much is if you are multitasking with some hard-core applications or using virtual machines like others have said. I use VM's often and have three running at the same time, and I still have bit to spare at 4 GB of RAM.

I have 12 GB in my rig and I constantly run 4 Virtual Machines and I used to play games on top of that and I almost never went over 50-60% use. So yeah 16 is way more than you need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom