Please review my new computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyComputerBlows

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, I'm sure you get a billion posts with regards to this very same thing, but I'm trying to build a computer and could use some help. I'm trying to build something that will run games like World of Warcraft, Rift, and Warcraft III all fairly well without having to pay top dollar for a beast of a machine, but not having to sacrifice in display quality. I don't need some crazy awesome computer, but at the same time, I'd like something that will get me a good frame rate and can play smoothly on highest graphical settings or almost max settings in games like WoW and Rift.

Now, I know I'll get some heat for this, but I'm currently using the iBUYPOWER website to sift through this all. The reason I'm using this website instead of building my own cheaper computer is this: I like the payment plan that iBUYPOWER allows, so that I don't have to drop a huge chunk of cash up front, and instead pay monthly until I pay it off. So here's what I've come up with so far:

1 x Case ( Xion Echo Gaming Case - Black )
1 x Processor ( [= Quad Core =] AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X4 840 Quad-Core CPU )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan )
1 x Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
1 x Video Card ( AMD Radeon HD 6670 - 1GB - Single Card )
1 x Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 -- AMD 770 )
1 x Power Supply ( 500 Watt -- Standard )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 750 GB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )
1 x Speaker System ( iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Basic Pro Wiring )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation! )

Okay now on to the real questions. First of all, this is going to cost about 700 dollars. Is there a website that would offer a monthly re-payment option like iBUYPOWER that could give me a more affordable setup?

Secondly, my brother had a problem when he first ordered his computer with regards to his motherboard and graphics card. His motherboard wasn't 100% compatible with his graphics card. So my question would be, of the listed items, is there anything anyone sees wrong? Will my graphics card coincide with the motherboard, will the power supply be enough, could I get a better graphics card for cheaper, or should I get a different motherboard, etc? For anyone interested, I was looking at the Memorial Day sale options on the website, but they are very similar to the "Special-B" listed under weekly specials. Anyone able to kind of toy around to get me a better, more cost-efficient setup for what I am looking for?

Thank you so much for your help. I know it's quite a handful of information to digest. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Honestly Firstly, theres no way the video card can't be 100% compatible. Its either it fits or it doesn't....

Now to yours..... what do you plan to do on it?

The liquid cooling they offer i don't think is worth the 10 bucks.

Based on what your plans are, it'll be easier to answer you.

I thought I described what I wanted, but maybe I wasn't clear enough. My apologies. I'm looking to get an upgradeable computer for a decent price with a monthly re-payment plan that will play games like WoW, Rift and WC3 at a higher graphical setting without sacrificing gameplay and framerate.

Crap..... You did didn't you.... I'm sorta tired. Sorry.

I'd either lessen the cpu from what you choose, and up the video card.

Youre unfortunately at a crappy price point at $700. You can go better gpu or cpu, but not both.

A cpu can be overclocked rather cheaply, with a vdecent hsf and some patience. But its alot harder to boost a gpu to a higher level.

My biggest concern with ipower is they don't say what brand the generic psu is, for me, psus are important.

Well that CPU is the standard option they give. I could maybe upgrade it, depending on the price. I did some searching around and from what I've read the graphics card I had listed above has received some pretty solid reviews. Remember, I'm not going for anything too beastly, but at the same time I don't want to have to tone down my graphics and display settings when playing the games listed. If you had to do one or the other, which would you choose? Any idea on an upgraded CPU? I mean, I've read some solid reviews on the AMD Phenoms as well..

I would read some reviews of iBuypower before you actually buy anything. From what I've read, and testimonial from one of my friends, they are a pretty bad company. Sadly I don't have suggestions for who would be better though. Honestly if you have patience just build your own over time, I'm buying my computer piecemeal over 2-3 months as parts go on sale or when I have disposable income. Yeah there is no instant gratification, but the computer I build will be so much better and more reliable than anything they'll put together.

This is honestly the best advice.

You could go for a board with an onboard, so you can then use it before its finalized

Man, I just priced out a setup for 670, with an PII x4 and xfx 6850.... But a crappy case

Going into loan for a computer isn't smart...

If you want monthly repayment, apply for a NewEgg account and build .

MyPreferred account. I have one too. That's how I could afford this system, and my last system, and my notebook. 12 months to pay off, for $500 and above. No interest unless minimum is paid. Minimum is, I think 5-10% of your total left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom