Upgrade advice needed, from DDR to ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I dated myself by using AS5... didn't know that they haven't kept up with R&D. I'll need to give that TX-2 stuff a try, not conductive is quite appealing.

I reversed my case fans so that the window 120mm was bringing in cool air while the twin 60mm fans on the back were expelling hot cpu air. That seems to have helped a bit, Prime95 blend temps are stable at 55C. That's not what I want, but at least it's not 61C.

I downloaded CPUID's HM and it agrees with SpeedFan. AMD's OverDrive is misreporting my core temps, odd.

The base of this heatsink does not completely cover the cpu. I remember that it didn't cover my 3800+ and didn't think much of it when I installed it. But that 3800+ would naturally run much cooler than this beast. So, I guess I need a new cooler. I'd need to get a new case to fit the water cooler that corsair makes... no room in the back for a 120mm unit.

What do y'all suggest? I've avoided buying another heastink+fan system due to market saturation. Too many choices. A quick newegg search turned up Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

60mm fans? That's a rather old case. My old CoolerMaster Wave Master used 80mm's. You might consider upgrading to a new case. the one I am using (Antec 300 Illusion) comes with four fans and a spot for a 120 in the door.

As for coolers there are all kinds. I was using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro and getting low to mid 50 load temps, but went to my current Gelid Tranquillo for a review and dropped to mid 40s for load. You can look for similarly built heatsinks for similar results, but check the space you have first... my initial HSF was too tall for my case when I built using my old case.

Gah, sorry... I really should check my numbers before posting. I'm using an Aspire X-Navigator, it has four 80mm fans (two in rear, one on top, and one in the front) and one 120mm window-mounted fan. I'm not too happy with the case and I'm going to wait for the new corsair carbide cases: Corsair Launches Budget Gaming Carbide Series Cases | PC Perspective

There is a 75mm clearance between the case window and my gpu... I currently have that fan pulling in cool air. The overall thickness of the H-60 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015 ) is 52mm. I could fit the fan+radiator in the window, but then I'm worried about my gpu. Thoughts?

I saw idle temps in the mid 30s last night, that's better than what I'd been getting. I'm going to run the blend test again tonight and see if my load temps have improved.

Thanks for all of the advice, it's a real help.

The problem with using the H-60 like that will be that you are going to dump the hot air back into the case, plus with it being on the door it will be hard to get into the case without damaging something.

If need be then run without the door on your case until you can get a better case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom