Oh Crap...Chip Getting Hott! What To Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidWatersUGP

Baseband Member
Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a new motherboard and CPU (P4 3.2Ghz HT 1MB Cache 800FSB) and I've had this computer working for awhile but I checked the BIOS and noticed the temperature was quite high...I'm not sure though...please help!

I even have a gaming fan which is blazing at max right now and according to this program I just downloaded, MBM 5 (Motherboard Monitor 5) it says my CPU is at 145F and in BIOS the C was about at 65 at highest. I have a feeling this is not good...I think that's why my computer will turn off sometimes when I'm using it.

But when it's idle for like 5 hours during the day it does not shut off?

I dont understand why it's getting hot. I never had any of that gew stuff you put on the ship, barely any left but still this gaming fan I have for the CPU should be cooling this thing. Also...case temp is pretty high too...mabye just because of this prob though.

Someone help please :D

Thanks!

David Waters

Ohh i had a problem like that after i installed a temperature sensor. Make sure that the fan has good contact with the processor and that you are using the gel stuff.

I'm using literally no jell stuff, can that be the reason why it's getting this high?

I also just checked Intels site and for my 3.2 Chip it will shut off at 73.2C which I've been right below that most of the time (and its suppost to be at around 35 or so)...or more like 65 most of the time. Makes sense now....just that...is it just because I dont have a little bit of the gell is making this a big difference?

I just dont see how gell would cool my computer down so many degrees suddently...but if that's the case... I guess i'll have to go buy some...if my computer store would even sell something like that lol.

the gel stuff doesnt cool iy down, it just makes contact between teh heatsink and the processor, it would be a good idea to get some.

good luck!

That chart matches my current temp it seems like...unless the temp table is the max temp before it shuts down or something lol :p

Hmmmm....?

he said like 3 times that he didnt use any thermal paste. did u use a thermal pad though?

if not then there is your problem. theres no way u can keep a Proccessor that powerfull running without any paste or pad between the cpu and heatsink.

Seriously?? That can make the difference lol? I don't have any paste...but I have this little pad thing...I dunno if it would work though. I bought the the chip bare and it was sitting in this little pad thing in the little plastic case....I wonder if I could use that. I'll try to take a pic and show you guys if I can.

I'm running the program and currently it says 56C...it seems like the BIOS and this program are a little bit off. In BIOS it would probably say something like 65C right now or something. The program I have has a problem reading system case temp lol...cuz the BIOS and the program are way off lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom