Need a GPU suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
I'm currently leaning toward buying a GTX 560 Ti, specifically either the MSI Hawk, or the Gold Edition. I don't have any specific reason, but I prefer Nvidia cards. That being said, I was wondering if anyone could suggest an HD6950 around 250$ that can be bios flashed to a 6970 that I could watch? Buying parts piecemeal and GPU is going to tie for last component with CPU since their prices drop faster.

Also, don't want to start a fanboy mudslinging thread, but anyone suggest one chipset over the other for mainly gaming and watching movies? Most of what I've read says that they are so close in performance it doesn't really matter that much.

Not sure which is a better card as I am in kinda the same boat, but I do know that in order to flash the AMD 6950 to 6970 you have to make sure you buy a "reference" card with dual bios for flashing to a 6970.

I just bought and installed the GTX 56oTi and really like it. Course I really do not have much experience with high end cards. My old one was a GeForce 8600GT manufactured in 2004 and this one is a big improvement. Course I also got a really good monitor (ASUS VE258Q) at the same time and both together is very good. I am still running my 500 watt PSU and it is doing the job but will upgrade it soon because I think I will get another GTX 560Ti cause 2 is better than 1. Hope this helps

My old one was a GeForce 8600GT
Funny story, my current graphics card is an XFX 8600GT. :grin:

From what I've read the 560ti should be fine for long enough that I can either afford to buy an upgrade, or a second one for SLI. Considering how long the 8600 has lasted in my box I'm sure I could get a solid 2-3 years out of the 560ti easily. Just tempting to buy a 6950 and essentially get a free circa 70$ upgrade.

My MB has the NIVIDIA graphics controller (?) on board so I went with the NIVIDIA. And I think my 8600GT was on the end of it's life cause when I installed the new monitor it was very very red and I could not adjust the red out. Then the new card went in and the picture was very very good. But 2 is always better than 1, is it not? I had thought to try to get another 8600GT for SLI but was not sure I could get an identical card cause of the manufacture date. I mean 7 years is old tech. In it's time the 2004 8600GT was more than likely a really nice card. Since I bought the 560Ti I will have to stick with it for a good while. I think upgrades just go in circles. When I come back around then there will something else. Before the next new GPU it will be a new MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom