Dream system, prove me wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insanerb25

Beta member
Let me start off by saying im new new to this forum but not new tech wise if your going to argue with my build id love to listen but support what you say please no opinions because you heard about a guy with a friend who heard about one buggin out. The money is not an issue, im not rich but my last computer i bought 5 years ago and will still rock new vegas under mild settings but i built it with the intent of lasting awhile and upgraded as gpu's and such came outdated i plan on doing the same with this system, where i need help is i recently started using autodesk cad, at first not bad but the more complex the design got the worse i was lagging and any attempt for texture mapping results in a computer freezing until hard restart no commands work. I need something to handle the amount of work i want to do. any additions also are needed, i need this system to perform daily tasks also. So here is my system

Silverstone tj11b good company, i like the power supply seperated from the rest and the high amount of air intake
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE TJ11B-W Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

trust seagate never had problems
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

evga gtx 460 2 of them should be plenty of power
Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P3-1387-KR GeForce GTX 460 2Win (Fermi) 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

creative xfi hooked up to my surround sound on a yamaha receiver and polk audio speakers
Newegg.com - Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card

thermaltake i trust also plenty of power.... considering a more reduntant system?
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-1200M 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 & SSI EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply

multicard reader... gotta have one
Newegg.com - Koutech IO-RCM630 Multi-in-1 USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Front Panel Internal Card Reader with USB 3.0 Port (3.5")

kingston hyper x 1600 24gb
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX T1 Black Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3T1BK6/24GX

gigabyte g1 mobo - not sure about this one but dont want asus had problems way back when just kinda stuck with me (like if u bought a ford in the 90's had a lot of problems no matter how much you hear about them being good now you just cant bring yourself to do it)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE G1.Assassin LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 XL ATX Intel Motherboard

i7- 990x 3.46 gulftown (either gulftown or nephalam i stay away from sandy bridge... sandy bridge= gross)
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.46GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7990X

2 kingston 64gb ssd (1 for boot 1 for cad)
Newegg.com - Kingston SSDNow V100 Series SV100S2/64GZ 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

thermaltake chipset cooler
Newegg.com - Thermaltake CLC0051 Aluminum Fan & Heatsinks

thermaltake hhd coolers
Newegg.com - Thermaltake A2427 Hard drive blue LED cooler

thermaltake cpu cooler frio
Newegg.com - Thermaltake CLP0575 Frio OCK Universal CPU Cooler Ultimate OverClocking King Supports up to 240W TDP Dual 130mm VR Fans

nzxt fan controller upgrade from mine
Newegg.com - NZXT SEN-001LX Sentry LX Aluminum dual bay fan controller

Total price $4500

FYI not interested in buying cheaper cpu and overclocking, heat is enemy note all the cooling systems, most likely custom case mod but we will see what temp the system runs at, i stick with air only dont like water thanks for you input guys! (just back it up)

Let me start off by saying im new new to this forum but not new tech wise if your going to argue with my build id love to listen but support what you say please no opinions because you heard about a guy with a friend who heard about one buggin out.

You want opinions but you want them supported. I can understand this, but you need to hold yourself to the same guidelines

Insanerb25 said:
i7- 990x 3.46 gulftown (either gulftown or nephalam i stay away from sandy bridge... sandy bridge= gross)

Then you say this. Just how is Sandy Bridge gross?

I use AutoCad everyday, in fact, I make my living using AutoCad and my Sandy Bridge will outperform most Nephalem and a lot of Gulftown cpu's. And when we consider the performance per dollar spent the Sandy Bridge wins every time.

First off, if you're not overclocking, the stock cooler for the cpu should be just fine, and the hard drive and chipset coolers are probably unecessary.
I'd recommend OCZ's SSDs. They are much faster.
24gb of RAM is a bit of an overkill. I'd get probably 12 to begin with and IF that isn't enough (which it will be) then get more...otherwise you're just wasting money.
That power supply is an overkill as well. Try a Corsair 850w, or a Corsair 1000 if you don't want to go that low...
Why get 2 cheaper gpu's when you can buy 1 good one? You said it yourself that cooling is important. GTX 580 is your friend. :)
I never recommend getting more than a 1tb drive. I myself try to stay way from even 1tb because thats a lot of data to lose if the drive fails on you...that case has plenty of room for multilple drives anyway.
That leads me to the case, which is also an overkill. $660 for a case!? It's your opinion, but I wouldn't spend that much on a case...I'd get a cheaper one. The HAF X case is big enough, with great cooling, and its only $200.

And Sandy Bridge > Nephalem, Gulftown

Well my sandy bridge choice isnt over just nothing from what i understand the only two good parts of the sandy bridge is the price and the fact that its suppose to have a decent integrated graphics and allow stronger support of the graphics through its pci3 bandwidth, but from january to april of this year problems with the chipset
Intel's Sandy Bridge chipset flaw: The fallout | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News
annnnddddd
PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

although since you use autocad, i wasnt sure if this is something that applies to autocad users like i said im pretty new at autocad still

gtx 580 is my friend lol sweet thats why i came here
so one gtx 580 would be better then my two?
ocz does have faster read rates never looked at them before thanks dude

yeah the case is just personal choice, a reallllllly weird waste of money but i like my stuff i wont see when people come over and lol i just bought the haf x case for my nephews build, picked it up for him cuz i really do like it that case

coolers eh why not few bucks

oh yeah and new to ssd's, the amount of information taking up the drive doesnt relate to its performance like a hdd? i guess since there is no moving parts it wouldnt waste the time finding data

If you haven't already found a SSD that you like, I recommend the OCZ Vertex 3. Insane write/read rates.

Sandy Bridge chipset flaw has been fixed and is perfectly fine (B3)...I'm not trying to push you one way or the other...I like Sandy Bridge better, but you may like the extra cache on the 990x...I just don't think it's worth the extra $600, but money appears not to be an issue here. :)

As for the gpu, I just read "460" and thought it was a regular 460. I now went to the link to find it has 2 460 gpus. Two of these cards (4 gpu's total) would be better performance than 1 gtx 580. The newer generations use less power and generate less heat and are overall more efficient, so I still recommend the gtx 580. I'd get just a single 580 and, if you find you don't like it, then get another one...or just get 2 right off the bat.. :)

What about that motherboard worries you..besides the price? It's perfectly ...awesome...the only issue I have is that you're spending more money to use older technology. I suggest you get a P67 motherboard with an i7 2600k, then you can upgrade to an Ivy Bridge processor, which will be 20-30% faster and will be compatible (according to Wikipedia), not entirely sure about that, so you should wait till someone else on here confirms that.
Here's the top ones:
Newegg.com - MSI Big Bang-Marshal (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 (B3) & Lucid LT22102 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 XL ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (z68 which uses processor graphics while dedicated gpu doesn't need to be used, which = less heat, less power consumption)

Again, not trying to push you one way or the other, just giving you all the options...

Well the i7 990X is a killer cpu so I'm not going to try to change your mind if you have the money to spend. If I had a $1000 extra laying around I would of upgraded my old 920 to a 990X. But for a lot less money I'm almost as fast in some areas and even faster in a few, with my 2600K at 5GHz, with air cooling :thumbsup:

I'm loving my sandy bridge 2500k, so the 2600k would be a better choice with the hyper threading. Definitely a yes on the SSD like fox suggested. I am using the first gen vertex and it still is pretty sweet. Just make sure you use the SSD tweak sticky to help adjust it to your usage. I would recommend a western digital corsair black 750gb or 650gb hard drive for backup. It is wicked fast on my end here. Good luck, have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom