instant overheating :o(

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the cpu is indeed overheating should i be able to feel some sort of heat radiating from it? i cant...
One...keep your hand out of a running machine. Two...no you cant feel heat radiating from it, thats what the heatsink is there for to catch that heat, but beyond that, it's overheatin in 3 seconds and shutting down, thats the internal temperature of the chip and the core, that's a tiny area allbeit hot, so theres no way you'd be able to feel it. Also 'feeling the air' inside of a case is in no way any shape or form an appropriate way to check if something is hot so I really wouldn't bother trying to 'hand read it'

When I first seated the heatsink on the 64 machine I built it hit up at 70C on full load so I resat the heatsink and temps went down, so I suggest you do the same thing.

You put a dot in the middle of the heatspreader on the CPU and then put on the heatsink right? As that's the best way to do it. A BB sized dot of compound in the middle, put on the heatsink and twist it each way 1 degree...mind you 1 degree is about a hairs width so I'm talking BARELY twist it, it's supposed to get out all gaps and bubbles to make perfect contact. Personally I think those heatspreaders seem to be causing more troubles than they do at solving heating issues as it seems it'd be better for the heatsink to simply make contact with the actual core and not have to go through a heatspreader, compound, THEN the heatsink, but eh what do I know, I'm not AMD Scientist ;)

Nubius said:
Personally I think those heatspreaders seem to be causing more troubles than they do at solving heating issues as it seems it'd be better for the heatsink to simply make contact with the actual core and not have to go through a heatspreader, compound, THEN the heatsink, but eh what do I know, I'm not AMD Scientist ;)

I agree about the heat spreader, but without it you have an increased chance of cracking the die. I've read a few times about people trying to put the heatsink on a chip without a heat spreader and cracking the die right in half. lol... Seems like you can't catch a break in this world :(! lol!

thanks for the input. i managed to figure out the problem because i was lucky enough to come across a forum thread at another website. turns out there were like 30 people posting the exact same problem with me with the same motherboard and processor. aparently they have changed the chips from 130nm to 90nm recently and the old version of Abit's bios didn't support it. I called Abit though and after significant complaining they agreed to just mail me a bios chip with the updated version on it. Hopefully this works.

130nm to 90nm recently

Hmmm this is why I've seen some CPU-Z shots with people having .13u technology and some having .09u that's pretty screwed up though. Good find and info axiom. Sorry we couldn't help you but man I really hadn't heard of anyone facing that problem. That's cool though, now we know so that's pretty cool.

You know you can hotflash your BIOS chip once the new one arrives so essentially you have two so incase you fux one up you got a spare. I did it and it works like a charm. I wrote an article regarding BIOS Flashing and hotflashing so you might want to check it out ;)

http://www.techist.com/computer_articles/bios-flashing-recovery.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom