How can I test my HDD, RAM, CPU for intergrity, failure...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
Not sure what is going on with my computer but I had to reinstall w7 again last night. I had to do this about 3 months ago as well. Seems the same thing just starts to happen out of the blue. It will start with just the computer freezing up. I can't do anything and have to do a hard reset on it. Upon doing that I get back to the desktop and then it freezes up again. This never happens after I install something, so I do not think it is a virus either time. It will just start acting up out of the blue.

Why reinstalling w7 fixes this I have no idea. My first guess is my ram or hdd is going out on me but I reinstall w7 successfully and it's back to working again.

So just wondering what programs are out there that can tell me if my hardware is going out on me?

traffic a little slow around here lately??

For your HDD, another option is to use the software provided from the drive's manufacture. It can check the health status of the drive and sometimes it can mark a bad sector so it won't be used ( They call it a repair buy it really isn't).
just about all hdd manufactures provide this software for free, seagate calls theirs "SeaTools" and western digital calls theirs "Data Lifeguard"

This does sound likely to be a stability issue to me. Unstable CPU/HDD or memory can cause corruption of the OS, at least in my own personal experience. Personally I'm still a fan of the classic CPU stability tests like Prime95 and SuperPi Mod. Memtest86+ has and will continue to be the standard memory test for a while.

Hey thanks for the feedback folks. I have since posting this ran the WD HDD tool test on my primary HDD and had no bad sectors. I ran memtest86 and went through one pass and had zero issues there. Question on memtest86...someone told me to only test one stick at a time but it seems memtest was able to locate all my memory, including the ram in my gpu and there was no errors with memory. Can you test all memory at once or do I need to do one at a time?

I ran Prime95 for 15 minutes with out problems.

Here is HW Monitor info if you want to take a look. BTW everything in my sig is the specs I have however I am NOT OCed. I have not over clocked in over a year now.

HM.jpg

It's best to test each stick one at a time, and you should really let it do more than one pass. You should also let it run for a minimum of 2-4 hours (or just start it up before you go to bed and then stop it in the morning).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom