16GB of RAM, useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So last night I noticed the RAM I was eyeballing on Newegg was on promo (buying my new computer piecemeal as prices fluctuate). The Scotch took over and before I knew it I had ordered 16MB of RAM, the question now is should I keep it when it comes, or return 8GB of it?

I'd like my build to be 3-5yr future proof, and I'm just not sure if in the near future 16GB will become the recommended standard, or even necessary.

I really doubt 16gb would be useful for anything...unless you're running tons of virtual machines.

You could send it to me.. :) although it's probably ddr3 :(

Yeah, nope. 5 years ago 1 GB was sufficient. Now it is 4. 8 sounds about right in another 5. Up to you though.

Yeah I'm not sure what exactly a virtual machine is, so I doubt I'm running tons of them without realizing it :tongue:
I currently have 2GB, and while my system can get bogged down, I don't think I really strain it too much.

Yeah Nite its DDR3 (this), went down to 79.99 and apparently the drunken shopper in me got a little over excited. Certainly going to return the extra set now though.

It depends on what your doing. If your a big time multi-tasker working on large images/videos/3D Modeling/etc... then you might find 16GB useful. If your more of a mainstream power user then 8GB should be fine. If your just the average computer user then 4GB is all you need.

You've heard of Virtual Reality, right? Virtual means 'not really existing" so a Virtual Machine is a machine that doesn't really exist. It exists only within your computer, totally emulated by software. Using VMs you can create many different machines, each of them running a different OS. The more RAM you have the more VMs you could run simultaneously (provided your CPU has sufficient processing power).

For the average hardware enthusiast/gamer 16GB is silly. Heck, I have 8GB and have pretty much never seen more than 5GB used.

I have a ton of RAM.. but only because newegg was having a shell shocker deal on it.. and I had a 50.00 gift card to use and it was less than an 8gb set at that point. At least I won't have to buy any more ram for a while! :)

I have 8GB.. I can say I've used all of it on a few occasions. VM's and a few games with a ton of background applications really eat the RAM up. I'd say 16 would be sufficient for 3-5 years.. 8 seems.. "normal" for a build nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom