Let's Upgrade/Update make this gaming rig kick again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So my computer is giving me more and more issues lately and I wanted to know if it's time to Upgrade/Update or whatever this year.

System Specs:
Windows 7 64bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 4890 @ 900Mhz
Ram: OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600 Triple Channel
Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe
PSU: Corsair TX750W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache (ST31000333AS)
Cooler Master HAF 932

Now I have had cooling issues and graphical problems going on, so those are my main concerns especially with games like Diablo3 around the corner this year, I want to be ready.

Any suggestions?
I mean the original idea was to get 2 harddrives to RAID and use this one as the bulk data drive

Maybe I need a MOBO upgrade? or GPU?
Also open to CPU upgrades, but I figure mine is probably still pretty good, just need a nice aftermarket cooling method.(which I have links for.. somewhere) Big fans, high air flow, low noise = perfect.

Any ideas on updating/upgrading?

The two main things I would upgrade is the graphics card and then get a SSD for your OS and programs. Those are the only two things that are lagging behind the rest of your system. SSD beats any RAID configuration by far, I'd go for an OCZ Vertex 2. For the graphics card, the ASUS GTX 560 Ti or the ASUS GTX 560 Ti TOP (a factory overclocked version that, in many gaming benchmarks, was near parallel to the GTX 560 which is about $100 more...I was trying to find that review that gave these results, but I can't...I'll add it if I find it.

That motherboard and CPU is still pretty good, I wouldn't upgrade before a new gpu and SSD because those appear to be the lowest components in the system. An i5 2500k and an ASUS P8P67 Pro would increase the performance, but not as much as a new gpu and SSD...

$400 is a bit pricey for that I mean.. come on... this system isn't the worste on the market, I just can't figure out why it's stuttering/lagging on simple things.

Honestly I really don't think any of those are going to improve much except benchmark numbers.. I care about game quality not over-bloated scoring.

You need to cool, maybe a h70 from corsair, and overclock.... I forget if you tried or not.

You can easily match a 2500 with your system with an overclock.

I'd first get a cooler, as its a transferable item, so its not wasted coin.

only thing I see that needs changing is to 1. overclock that cpu, 3.6 ghz should be easy with above suggested cooler. 2. better GPU, since you've had graphic problems before, try nvidia's gtx 560 Ti this time around?

What games are giving you graphics problems? I really can't see diablo III doing it to you. I'd expect that card to max it.

$400 is a bit pricey for that I mean.. come on... this system isn't the worste on the market, I just can't figure out why it's stuttering/lagging on simple things.

Honestly I really don't think any of those are going to improve much except benchmark numbers.. I care about game quality not over-bloated scoring.

I'm saying that your system is fine how it is, but the best areas you can upgrade in is the graphics card and a SSD if you can. The graphics card might fix the problems you've been having. The SSD would hugely improve boot times and load times for your games...but the gpu is priority..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom