need help replacing my cpu and maybe mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drogos

Daemon Poster
Hello guys i been running with this setup for a while and is been working so far but new games are coming and i like to be able to run them smoothly.
According to requirements lab my cpu sucks a lot is the only thing that doesn't pass.
i can run crysis 2 on high 1400x900 , dragon age 2 on high 1080p and also fable 3 high 1080p but it does lag in certain areas.
my friend told me i might need an upgrade for it and also the witcher 2.
I figure ill do that now that i can afford it this is my spec.
Case Antec it fits both micro and full size mobo
Mobo AMD MCP6P M2+
Cpu AMD Athlon X2 5400 Dual Core Proccesor
Ram 4GB DDR2
Harddrive 500GB Harddrive
GPU Nvidia GTs 250 1GB DDR3
Power Supply 400w corsair
If i have to change cpu, mobo and ram thats fine i like to keep it under 400.
500 if is worth it and of course ill be reusing everything else.
well let me know what you guys think and if its worth upgrading
thanks in advance

wow that's better than i expected that would be a really nice upgrade will i have power issues my power supply is only 400w. im thinking of going for the first overhaul if you think ill run everything just fine for at least 6 month +
342 is really cheap i like it

This is the update my parts got in today and got everything hooked and running.
thanks a lot trotter im happy to say that win7 gives my new parts a 7.4 the lowest is my Harddrive 5.9 i should update that to in a month or so unless is not really needed.
the corsair 400w power supply is holding nicely
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2
Foxconn A88GM Deluxe AM3
G.SKILL 4GB
Corsair 400w
500GB HD
Radeon HD 5770

thanks again

Trotter is the Man :thumbsup:

While the Corsair 400w is a great power supply I'm sure your new system is straining it harder than it ever has. I would go ahead and upgrade it before the hard drive.

This Corsair is only $75 after a rebate.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

This Antec is only $70 after a rebate
Newegg.com - Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 620W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

This OCZ is only $50 after a rebate, but it does look like a few of them have died early. But OCZ does have a pretty good support team.
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

As far as the Win7 rating, it's really a generic rating and I wouldn't let it influence my decision making. With that said, if you want a big boost in your Windows load times you'll want a SSD, Solid State Drive. They help your load times with games and apps also, but it's not as noticeable. They are fairly expensive so you would want to buy a drive big enough for Windows and your main applications and a few games. Then you use your old drive for data, temp files, page file, etc... OCZ is pretty much the biggest player in SSD. They generally have the best price to performance but you never know what might be on sale at the time.

This is a 1st generation drive but it's really only big enough for your OS and the bare minimum of apps. I have this exact same drive with WinXPx64, Autocad, Photoshop, MS Office and a few other smaller programs and it's almost full. But it's priced right for a starter drive.
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

This 60GB drive is $95, I also have one of these, I'm running Win7 on it as I type. It hold Win7 all my programs and 5 or 6 games, this would be my recommendation.
Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

sweet ill definitely add that to the list. might as well
ill stick to corsair i will buy it a month or so.
i been running all the games at 1080p with no problem so far im loving it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom