Trying to lower the price of my first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

adalaa

Beta member
Hey guys,

Looking forward to becoming a part of these forums, I had to kick this off with advice on my first build, naturally.

I've already put together my list, but of course I have gone over my budget. Basically, I am looking for any feedback on the build and suggestions on how I can lower the price.

I will be using it for gaming, work, music, movies & I tend to run multiple applications, and tabs at once - a lot. I am not after a top range computer, however I do want to have the ability to upgrade in the future and as my first build, I want it to last and I would like to play games maxed(or ish).

Here is what I've come up with

CPU - Intel Core i7 2600 Processor LGA1155 3.4GHz CPU

Motherboard - Asus P8P67V3 P67 4DDR3 D12PH 2400OC RAID GLAN PCIE16 2FW SA3 ATX STEP3

RAM - G Skill 4G(2x2G) DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 9-9-9-24(CL9D-4GBNQ

Case - CoolerMaster Centurion 5 II SilverBlack Tower Case W 500W PSU

CD/DVD - LG H22NS50 SATA 22X - Super Multi DVDR Black with Software

Vid Card - Gigabyte GTX550 OC 550TI DDR5 1GB 970/4200MHZ HDMI

Harddrive - Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M

Wireless - ASUS PCE-N13 WLAN PCI-Express Low Profile

xtra cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Universal Cooler

Another thing I am unsure about, basing my knowledge only on recent research and not experience is - is it worth my while getting a sound card (I'm thinking a cheap one) as I don't really intend to use it for surrond, or loudly at all.
- Is there anything else I should get other than the monitor, keys etc

Thanks all, any help is much appreciated.

You could go with a 2500 or 2500K and save a little.

You REALLY don't want to go with the PSU that comes in the case unless it is an Antec (CoolerMaster and ThermalTake PSUs sucks majorly). Check the PSU guide here and go with a decent one.

Unless you are an audiophile a sound card is not needed.

Awesome, thanks - That was also another thing I was unsure of, I am thinking of going with a 500W power supply.

Looking at these ones -

Vantec ION2 460W Ultra Quite - 460W

Power Supply 500W (ATX) - 500W

Gigabyte Superb Power Supply 550W 120mm Fan - 550W

Vantec ION2 520W Ultra Quite - 520 W

I guess I will leave the sound card out for a later date if I change my mind.

One more thing, from what I've read the i7 2600 does not support ram over 1333mhz without overclocking (which I won't be doing) so should I opt for a cheaper option of memory which runs at 1333mhz or is there a simple way around this? as I don't see the point of paying more for RAM that runs at a higher speed when it will be redundant. Is there really much of a significant difference? Thanks

From experience I will say to leave Vantec alone. The one I had died on me, albeit it was six years old when it did. Regardless it took out my motherboard when it popped.

I am guessing Aussies get the same brands we do. If so, look at Antec, OCZ, and FSP Group (Fortron) for budget minded PSUs that are solid. Corsair is good (except for the builder series) but usually pricier. Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, and Silverstone are more expensive but good.

I haven't heard anything about the 2500 not supporting 1600 RAM or better. That would depend on the motherboard and chipset instead of the CPU. Go with the highest native speed support by the motherboard you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom