Building PC for parents ~$500 Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Hey everyone, it's been a long long time!

I'm planning a build for my parents, as their old P4 Dell is aging, and my old man wants to replace it. I was SHOCKED when we were at lunch yesterday and he asked for my help building a new machine. I've been out of the loop as far as the PC game goes for a while now, so I haven't read much at all in the last 2 or so years.

Anywho, their budget is about $500, possibly a little more, but that's it for now. It will be mostly used for just general things, office, email, things of that nature, but it will also be used for some gaming when my brother and sister aren't away at school.

I think I have a pretty good build at this point, just wanted to get some other opinions.

Shipping: $27
Total: $562 - ($517 after MIR's)

As stated, there won't be any overclocking, so no need for anything other than stock cooling for the CPU.

I like the motherboard, because it has support for some for IDE devices, which allows me to use the HDD and Opitcal drive from the old computer. It also has plenty of SATA 6Gbps ports, 4 DIMM slots, USB 3.0 support, and crossfire, should there be any need to upgrade in the future. I'm not too sure how much longer AMD plans to run with the AM3 socket, but there is an upgrade path available there too, should it be needed.

The case really isn't too important, just has to hold everything together. It will be in a cabinet when not in use, as their current PC is, but the door will be opened when used, so I'm not worried about cooling issues. The front audio and USB is nice for convenience, as well as the large power & reset buttons at the top of the case.

That looks good, but you could still save a little money. Maybe an Athlon II x4 instead of the Phenom, or even a potential unlockable chip (Phenom II X2 555 or a tri-core).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom