First time building a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refuelempty

Beta member
Hey guys, I'm planning on building my first gaming computer but have never attempted to build a computer before so I was wondering if I could get some advice before I purchase everything. I'm on a bit of a tight budget but I was thinking about getting:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 Core 3.2GHz Processor 4 x 512 KB Boxed - Black Edition
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 Core 3.2GHz Processor 4 x 512 KB Boxed - Black Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Motherboard: ASUS AMD 880G AM3 Motherboard
ASUS AMD 880G AM3 Motherboard (DDR3 1066/1333/1866(OC), SATA 3Gb/s, RAID, Micro ATX, VGA): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

RAM: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2 x 2GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2 x 2GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Graphics card: Sapphire 11163-02-20R HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE
Sapphire 11163-02-20R HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATAII 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Green Internal Hard Drive OEM
Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATAII 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Green Internal Hard Drive OEM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Power supply: Corsair CMPSU-600CX 600W
Corsair CMPSU-600CX 600W Power Supply: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

DVDRW: LG GH22NS50.AUAA 22x SATA DVDRW Drive - Bare Black
LG GH22NS50.AUAA 22x SATA DVDRW Drive - Bare Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Case: Suza Advance NeoXblade 8813B - Mid tower - black - USB/Audio/E-SATA
Suza Advance NeoXblade 8813B - Mid tower - black - USB/Audio/E-SATA: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Monitor: Dell IN2020 20 inch HD Widescreen Monitor with LED
Dell IN2020 20 inch HD Widescreen Monitor with LED: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Again, I am completely new to this so all suggestions/modifications are welcome.
However, I also have two questions:

1. I'm not really sure how which/how many fans to buy. Any suggestions?

2. If I buy EVERYTHING listed there (except for keyboard, mouse, fan and speakers) will I have everything I need to build and use the computer? I don't want to order everything and then realise that I can't finish putting it together because I should have bought a certain wire/connector.

Thanks for your help

Are you planning on doing any serious overclocking?

If so, you're going to need a Heat Sink for that CPU and also may want to look into some better cooling options.

Personally I prefer XFX's 5770's to Sapphires, but the specs are practically the same.

Also with how cheap that RAM your getting is, I'd go on and throw 8GB in it. But that's just me.

1. I'm not really sure how which/how many fans to buy. Any suggestions?

2. If I buy EVERYTHING listed there (except for keyboard, mouse, fan and speakers) will I have everything I need to build and use the computer? I don't want to order everything and then realise that I can't finish putting it together because I should have bought a certain wire/connector.

Thanks for your help

1. Buy as many fans as your case can handle. They are cheap and will help your computer run nice and cool.
2. Seems like everything to me. All of the parts come with connectors if they are needed. For example,

RAM/CPU goes straight into the mobo. Power cords to everything come with the PSU. SATA cables come with the mobo for the HDD. Fans screw into the case and the cables are part of them...

Let us know how you go.

Thanks for all of the advice. I have begun to start buying components but have decided to make a few changes to the original build:

- I put in 8GB of RAM

- I changed the 600W corsair PSU to a 650W corsair PSU ( Corsair TX Series, 650 Watt, ATX, PS/2, Power Supply, UK Version (CMPSU-650TXUK): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories )

The only problem is that I showed my build to someone who 'knows computers' and they said that the current 650W PSU just wasnt up to the job. Thats confused me a bit because I was convinced that it would and I dont really want to spend any more money on a 700W+

Can anybody tell me if he is right or has no idea what he is talkign about?

1. Buy as many fans as your case can handle. They are cheap and will help your computer run nice and cool.

if you arent overclocking and you dont want your computer to sound like a jet engine at all times, buying more fans probably wont be necessary. I would go the other route and see if you could get away with removing a fan while maintaining reasonable temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom