Anti-static Mod-Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.

oogee

Baseband Member
Ive done some research and came down to the conclusion that a anti static wrist strap was a fairly good idea when building with $2000 woth of pc parts.

Since i plan on doing just that i purchased a mod mat for $40 and have an odd question for someone who might be more electrically inclined than myself.

Basically its a rubber surface with 2 metal pins installed, one for a ground wire (attach to a case thats plugged in or a ground wire) and one pin for the anti-static bracelet. It sounds fine and dandy, but what puzzles me is the two pins punched into the rubber mat are in no way connected, furthermore rubber doesent conduct last i checked so how does the strap get to the ground?

Could i go even further to say that since the pin for the anti static strap is stapled through exposing the metal to a potentially static charged surface making you at that charge making this do more harm than good?

Pics:
2ktmm.png

eUhCs.png

Youtube video: YouTube - ‪ModRight XXXXL Anti-Static Mod-Mat‬‏

Since they are the same material and in the same shape, they have the same potential difference, which will keep everything attached to them in electrostatic equilibrium. It's an open-ended circuit, ending on the pins. They'll conduct no matter if they have a ground or not, they're metal and have a large amount of free electrons for current to flow through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom