Speakers not recognized by win xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

idunnoe

Baseband Member
How would i go about letting windows recogonize my speakers? It currently says i have no audio device in the 'sounds and audio devices properties' tab under the control panel.
I've got the realtek audi drivers installed from my mobo disk and my speakers work if i put in a cd but things like system sounds don't work. Such as when i try to test them with a sample sound in the 'sounds and audio devices properties' tab i get an error message saying:

"Windows cannot plat the sound %SystemRoot%\media\windowsXP (whatever sound i try to play) Your sound card may be in use"

The thing is that i don't have a sound card i'm using onboard audio on the MSI K8n neo platinum MoBo.

Any ideas?

Also another question if anyone happens to know, how would i go about letting my dvd rom reader play dvd's on my computer, do i need any extra software? right now it won't let me play dvd movies...

Thanks for any help =)

Regardless of whether your mobo has integrated sound or not, the device will still show up in the audio-device listing in the hardware manager if it's setup correctly. It appears that yours is not.

Download and install new drivers. Consult your mobo manufacturer for any pataches or setup instructions.

Unless your speakers have an independant integration system, there's no way for your computer to "detect" your speakers. They're just hunks of metal and magnets attached to a wire (no matter where they are).

Also another question if anyone happens to know, how would i go about letting my dvd rom reader play dvd's on my computer, do i need any extra software? right now it won't let me play dvd movies...

You need to set your DVD region in the DVD rom properites [right click,My Computer->Device Manager]. Some DVD's only work when the DVD region is set.
Try to get power DVD to play your DVD's.

Sign
Codes

no my speakers aren't integrated.

i know theres something i need to do other than download drivers, because i recently reformatted and my speakers were 'recognized' before but i just don't remember how to get them to work again...

Shoobierat: how would i go about setting up my device manager so that my speakers does appear on the device listing?

You said you had no audio devices or controllers showing under the "Sound, Video, and game controllers" section of the Hardware-Manager, right? Well, that's problem one. You should have at least one audio device listed in there (I'm not talking speakers, I'm talking drivers and hardware for audio devices).

You're never going to get sound without your hardware being setup first.

And I have no idea what kind of speakers you have that would report their active presence to your system. Anyone else know? Is this some kind of DELL/Gateway/Compaq-whatever thing?

no its home built.
and under the hardware tab of sound and audio devices there are things there already:
realtek AC'97 audio
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Media Control Drivers
Legacy video capture drivers
Video codecs

Does that help? any ideas now?

Two things:

If you're still not getting sound, check all your drivers.

Second, go into the volume control and make sure the Master, Wave, and Output controls, are all turned up.

Well, as long as it's not USB speakers, it should have no configuration in windows. If it's just a stereo audio cable hookup, it shouldn't HAVE to be recognized in the first place, right?

-Dan The Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom