Need build ideas/input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question .... when shopping for a hard drive(s) what is better, SATA or EIDE? If I go with 2 hard drives, what should I look for?

Thermaltake cases are pretty good. The Xaser series was definitely good. Nice case fan placement, good 420w PSU, and LCD screen with thermal readings in the front. So all in all not bad cases.

Another question .... when shopping for a hard drive(s) what is better, SATA or EIDE? If I go with 2 hard drives, what should I look for?
Depends really, EIDE is just the advanced version of IDE so that's really the same as your normal hard drive, but I believe the bus speed was increased to match current standards. With SATA however, for 1 you can get a 10,000 RPM SATA Drive and windows loading times, windows install, copying files, that sort of thing take almost no time at all, since a normal hard drive is 7200 RPM...your case WILL NEED a floppy so that you can install the SATA Drivers to be able to install a SATA HD if you decide to get one and make it your Main drive with the OS on it. Also the best HD manufacturers IMO are:

Western Digital
Seagate

So I say get either of those, prefereably Western Digital. Right now infact, get a Western Digital SATA Drive from newegg and they have a $25 mail in rebate, but the invoice has to be marked before like November 14th so the end of that is coming up.

I'm also trying to edit video except I'm going from VHS to DVD as well as creating picture show DVD's with pictures and music.

If you're gonna take more stuff from the old Dell you might as well take the floppy drive out of it too. Should save you a couple of bucks.

Sata's quicker but the EIDE drives are super cheap now too. Get a Sata to use for windows and a second EIDE drive to hold all your digital video editing stuff.

here's a site to look at

pricewatch.com

RangerX said:

here's a site to look at

pricewatch.com

Pricewatch is BS, just look around and froogle stuff if you can't find anything tempting enuf. Sunday ads (i.e. Best buy, compusa) have amazing deals (160 IDE for $60 after MIR) too, so check those out

Yea and what i meant by 8x was actually a new genreatioon of cards. kind of a misunderstanding. IE like 6800GT and stuff. And i knew the 9800 PRO is 8x.

Yea and what i meant by 8x was actually a new genreatioon of cards. kind of a misunderstanding. IE like 6800GT and stuff. And i knew the 9800 PRO is 8x.
What? This makes no sense....getting a AGP 4x card would mean he'd have to go pretty far back in previous generation of cards...probably Geforce 3 or 4....which I doubt he was looking at buying....I just don't understand what 'You might want to get an 8x card later' was supposed to mean

this is my current opinion for a good all round computer for you:
Athlon 64 3800 (or any other non FX athlon 64 socket 939, the FX's are way too expensive)
1gb PC 3200 (some good brand, i dunno about ram brands)
Your Radeon 9800pro (its still has life in it, later you can upgrade to a 6800GT if you want)
200gb HDD SATA ( or 2 120gb in raid 0 for higher performance)
19in CRT if you dont want ot use your current monitor.
Dual Layer DVD burner (all round a dl dvd burner is useful)
missed anythig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom