Is my RAM being used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fupaflap

Beta member
I have this motherboard

NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI MCP

I was using 2 sticks of 2 gigs of RAM giving 4gb total, I installed 2 more 2gb sticks not the same though i think the pins are a little different? But yeah the computer sees it that im now up to 8gb but i dont think theyre being used. i feel there just kind of there the computer knows it but just wont use them which makes me think i dont have the right kind. I did the start>run>msinfo.exe and this is what i got.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

So yeah thats what i think is happening. im not a computer wiz but i do feel its not the right kind, can you tell by what i have circled on the photo?

Chances are, you are not utilizing the extra GBs of RAM, most only need 4GB in total.
The ram shouldn't have been able to fit into the motherboard if it was a different pin layout.
Only if you run a very RAM intensive program, or a few programs at once, will you start to use more than 4GB of RAM, assuming that you have a 64 bit operating system.
Open up task manager.
Click on the "Performance" tab.
Under "Memory" the number that you see is the GBs of RAM that you are currently using.
If for some reason you want to see all of the GBs of RAM uses to make sure that they are functioning properly, open a lot of programs.

Well when i had 4 gig on idle my computer was using 25% of physcial memory now with the 8gb its still avg 25% so it just makes me wonder if it just isnt using the extra

Well, it will only help when your using large amounts of RAM already. Vista/Win7 handle ram rather efficiently, and will load most everything you normally use upto a certain point. But, do you have 64bit or 32bit windows? If you are using 32bit, it can report more memory, but it can't use that extra memory.

Windows will preallocate a percentage of your memory for primary system services/functions, adding more memory just makes the percentage larger.

1 GB = 1024 mb and 1% equals 10.24 mb
2 GB = 2048 mb and 1% equals 20.48 mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom