Quiet, you PSU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I have an Antec Earthwatts 380W on my "open air" case. As seen here:

IMG_0137.jpg

The PSU is sitting on a cardboard box, so it won't rumble, sitting on the floor. Yet, it still rumbles. Is there something I can use to suppress the noise? I currently put some foam under it, but doesn't seem to help all that much.

I found a foam/rubber mat in our basement. I think it was once used to put those big printers on to absorb the sound. I'll see how that goes.

Is the fan attached securely? The fan is the only moving part so I would make sure it's clean and balanced. If it's not loose or dirty I would buy a new 80mm fan for it as it shouldn't be making any noise other than the usual noise from the spinning blades.

I have other 80mm fans, made by CoolerMaster.

But, I smelled a heck a lot of dust coming out of it. Just by sticking the canned air tube in one of the side vents. I'm going to open that and dust it out.

I'm not sure how to open the PSU, though. There any guides youd recommend?.

There should be 4 screws to remove the cover, one of them is usually covered with a warranty sticker (if it's removed it voids your warranty). Just be careful not to touch anything when the cover is removed as the capacitors will still be charged up enough to cause serious injury or death.

Good, 'cause you aren't getting my i5 if I die, Slay. :lol:

OK, I got it open and dusted out. Wasn't bad, but enough. Seems to be quieter now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom