Question about RAM and AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipp1234567

In Runtime
Currently my system runs on 4GB of RAM and i would like to speed up my system by purchasing more RAM. i was wondering what are my options. my motherboard is an MSI 890FXA-GD70. It has 4 RAM slots, and currently has two open slots.

i was considering purchasing 8 extra RAM to make a grand total of 12GB but i heard somewhere that AMD only supports something like 4gb, 8gb, and 16GB at once, otherwise u have to do something weird. or something dumb like that. i havent been able to find any add'l information about it.

Thanks.

and yes, i know i need a 64-bit system.

I don't know where you go your MIS informations, but AMD has no memory restrictions like that. They can handle as much as the OS and mobo allow.

Adding more RAM over and above 4GB is not going to give you any additional spped unless you are working on large images in Photoshop or something. What are your current specs? We will see what can be done from there.

From the sound of it, sounds like you could do with a faster cpu. But I will tell you I used to have 4gb of ram ddr3 and I upgrade to 12 and I notice a big difference in speed, but I also have a 6 core cpu so it was already pretty fast to begin with.

Currently my system runs on 4GB of RAM and i would like to speed up my system by purchasing more RAM. i was wondering what are my options. my motherboard is an MSI 890FXA-GD70. It has 4 RAM slots, and currently has two open slots.

i was considering purchasing 8 extra RAM to make a grand total of 12GB but i heard somewhere that AMD only supports something like 4gb, 8gb, and 16GB at once, otherwise u have to do something weird. or something dumb like that. i havent been able to find any add'l information about it.

Thanks.

and yes, i know i need a 64-bit system.

... what are my options ...
1, Keep it as is. - Cheapest (use another method to obtain more RAM speed (like "Game Booster")).
2. Buy more of the same type of Chips. - Low cost, still same memory speed, and no more upgrades.
3. Toss out all the Chips and buy all new ones. - Higher cost. Can use less Slots with BIG Chips and gain higher speed with faster ones.

... total of 12GB ... only supports something like 4gb, 8gb, and 16GB ... u have to do something weird. or something dumb ...
You may be confusing Posts about AMD vs. Intel and Dual Channel vs. Triple Channel.

You need to 'pair' (or 'triple-pair') your Chips for faster speed, if you don't they run slower. See here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1467440. That means either 2 or 4 otherwise 3 or 6 pairs of Chips, in your case it's 2 or 4.

i was considering purchasing 8 extra RAM to make a grand total of 12GB...
I advise:
1. Buy a faster Processor, IF the one you want is now much cheaper than when you started out.
2. Buy a second Graphics Card to add speed to the first.
3. Buy a faster Graphics Card and sell/trade the old one.
4. More of the same RAM Chips for a total of 8Gb.
5. Buy faster RAM and toss the old, small, slow ones.
6. LAST and LEAST, buy 8 more GB for a total of 12Gb of RAM (unless you are using PS or Maya, even then examine the first 3 choices).
7. Sell old RAM, Processor and Graphics Card; then upgrade them all (while you can).

You probably do NOT need more RAM and would be better to either save your money or spend it elsewhere (not on 12Gb RAM, 8Gb will be lots).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom