Project: "Open Air" Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
If you remember my old thread about juicing up my Atom:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/my-server-transformation-241906/

That Atom board has passed on. Died of heat exhaustion. I tried CPR, but he was dead at the scene.

Now, to lay in its stead, is this baby:

(combo)
ECS A740GM-M Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.70GHz (OEM)

and for h/s:
Rosewill RCX-Z1 (recommended by Trotter)

I transferred the SuperTalent 1GB DDR2 667 and all my drives over.

I have Ubuntu on it now, running off a Wintec 8GB USB Flash.

I de-riveted the motherboard plate out of a busted NZXT Duet. By busted, I mean that so many things are broken off, nearly unusable. Had it in my basement for years anyway. So why not, right?

So it remains of this so far:

IMG_0136.jpg

Messy, yes, to stay that way, no. Next step, I'm fastening that to the previous 4 bolts on the inner side of the desk. As you can see two of them in this picture.

I'll have to do the painting later, as it's very damp around here. Won't dry the paint well.

Update!

IMG_0137.jpg

I got it bolted to my desk! Also on the upper left, my fan controller for my CPU fan (came with the Rosewill heatsink) and my lil' USB hub. Easier to plug in a keyboard if need be.

Might be a bit messy-looking, but it's well organized.

I don't have enough clearance on my backsplash to mount it. Also, my Ikea desk, is not solid wood. Had to bolt it all the way through. Don't want bolts going through the top :p

Too bad. It's a good idea... I did something like it with the desk I built in my "office" closet. Could you mount the HDD chassis and PSU to the underside or maybe right above it or at least on the back side by creating a small shelf to help hold it up and keep it off the floor?

I suppose i could do that. I'd need something under/around it to keep it from vibrating, though. *thinks*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom