Can't get floppy disk drive to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a longshot but are you plugging the USB drive directly into the computer or are you using a hub? If a hub, is it a powered hub? Some USB devices won't work with a non-powered hub.

I fully understand your need for a floppy drive. I also have hundreds of floppy disks around. I have both 5.25" and 3.5" floppies, boxes of them. I have a dedicated machine setup with both 5.25" and 3.5" drives so that I can copy data to/from my floppies. I also collect vintage computers and some of them are floppy only.

Once you get your floppy drive working, you should look into an app called WinImage. It's an app that will allow you to make images of those old floppies for archival purposes.

This is a longshot but are you plugging the USB drive directly into the computer or are you using a hub? If a hub, is it a powered hub? Some USB devices won't work with a non-powered hub.

I fully understand your need for a floppy drive. I also have hundreds of floppy disks around. I have both 5.25" and 3.5" floppies, boxes of them. I have a dedicated machine setup with both 5.25" and 3.5" drives so that I can copy data to/from my floppies. I also collect vintage computers and some of them are floppy only.

Once you get your floppy drive working, you should look into an app called WinImage. It's an app that will allow you to make images of those old floppies for archival purposes.

Thanks for the reply, it is plugged into the USB port on the computer.

Floppy diskettes actually become corrupt if not stored correctly. The floppy drive that would not accept your floppy diskette actual would accept it if the OS was WinXP or Win98. This is why it is best to keep an old computer in storage, just in case you want to access old files or use older devices like floppy drives. I doubt tht you will have many files less than 1.44mb (1.38mb formatted).

You stated:
I also took the USB floppy drive to the IBM and connected it to a USB port and it opened the files.

If you can access these files from another pc, then get them on a stable media like a cd disk, an external hard drive or a usb drive like everybody's telling you. Floppy disks are the most unreliable source of media storage you could possibly use. There's a good reason why floppies went by the waste-side. If you value this data then you need to put it on something stable for future uses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom