Random lock ups and reboots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hello all, I recently installed a new motherboard in a friends PC. I tested the PC and had it running without trouble for over 20 hours. I tested several apps and well as a game he asked me to install, everything seemed to run flawlessly. I even ended up playing his StarWars KoToR game for about an hour =)

So anyway, he got it home, all he had to do was setup his internet. (DSL Modem) He emailed me like 5 times saying all his games lock up, even the one I tested, he said he's getting random reboots. Could DSL software cause this stuff to go nuts? He told me he has his network connection icon on the taskbar, but there is a second icon with an exclamation or something over it next to it.

I sent him an email and told him to disconnect his internet cable form his PC and see if stuff works after that.

Anyone have any other ideas? The guy lives over an hour from me and I hate to have to go make a house call.

what g card is he using? maybe he has tried to mess around the resolution settings for the games??

He is using SP2 with a firewall, and Norton Antivirus. I had his latest nvidia drivers on the system for him. He's using a Geforce 5700le graphics cards, the same one I use. He probably did try to adjust settings in the games. But he now has told me every game he has locks up. What would be the best course of action?

I was thinking of telling him to do this:

Disable the firewall.
Disable Norton temporarily
Download and run the latest Nvidia drivers AGAIN.

I have no other ideas. He said he unplugged his internet connection and everything is still locking up. Sigh.

For anyone that is having similar problems that comes across this message, his DSL modem HATED the onboard ethernet adapter. I disabled that in the BIOS and popped in a cheap Linksys and his problems were all solved. Shrug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom