Mixing RAM Capacities

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratzlaff

Baseband Member
I had a question about mixing RAM.

I have triple channel 3GB triple channel ram currently installed. I would like to upgrade.

Currently have: 3GB (3 x 1GB)|DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)|7 Latency
Want to upgrade with: 6GB (3x2GB)|DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)| 9 Latency
To bring me up to 9GB
What should I know about combining these?
The speed will go down to 1066, the latency will go up to 9, right? Will I still have triple channel?
Someone told me that I would lose triple channel if I mix the RAM capacities....

What is your system configuration?

Also, it is better to swap your RAM config for a newer and faster one of 6GB, because adding more RAM does not speed up your computer. The latency and speed of the RAM does. Of course, memory size does matter but you won't be using more than 5 GB, even when you play super intensive games like Crysis 2. Swapping your RAM for a new set does because if you choose one that is has a lower latency and a faster speed (1600Mhz is common today), your computer will run much faster.

You are correct. Unless you are running super memory intensive stuff (huge Photoshop projects, video editing) the faster RAM will give a better performance boost that 9GB at a slower speed.

Please note that, unless your motherboard natively runs RAM at 1600, you may not get all the additional speed. If your mobo runs 1333 natively then it will only run the 1600 at 1333. If this is the case you will have to slightly overclock the RAM to get the speed.

I went ahead and bought the memory. Here are screenshots of the different combinations. So to answer my main question...does it still get triple channel (which no one seemed to know or never bothered to answer)? Yes it still gets triple channel. And speed doesn't really matter in my specific case. (which I already knew)

skx6oj.jpg

I missed the question about triple channel, sorry. As long as you have identical DIMMs populating each of the three slots of a channel you will be in triple channel, even if you have different capacity DIMMs in the two different channels (i.e. 3x1GB and 3x2GB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom