First Build Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigv32

Solid State Member
Updated 5-13-11

I have finally decided to take the plunge and build my own computer.

USES: Gaming (both on-line and off), and other normal stuff

Budget: Right now $1200 (does not include monitor, mouse, speakers, keyboard etc. basically just the tower)

Overall goal of the build:

1. I want this computer to be able to play games like Civ IV, Crisis, etc. However, I do want to be able to upgrade in the future so I don't have to buy everything new again (AKA the video card).

2. Dual monitor capable

3. Right now I am just looking at getting one video card, but later on this year, I plan on getting a second one in a crossfire or SLI configuration (depends on the card and I do not care the brand).

4. I do plan on overclocking eventually.

PARTS: Here is what I am looking at right now for this build. My major concerns are the motherboard (for future upgradability) and the video card (in terms of being able to handle two monitors).

PARTS: Here is what I am looking at right now for this build. My major concerns are the motherboard (for future upgradability) and the video card (in terms of being able to handle two monitors).

Processor/Ram Combo Intel Core i5-2500K G-skills Ripjaw 8GB (2 by 4GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...m2305X575088Xd00ce0e1745ebbe19643c9cd8bcec617

MotherBoard: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) NOTE: I don't know a lot about ASRock but this board received solid reviews.
Newegg.com - ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card: One of these two. The difference is about 30 bucks but I get 2GB of memory. However, I would have to order from tigerdirect and I know nothing about their service.

1. SAPPHIRE 100312-1GSR Radeon HD 6950 1GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102921&cm_re=HD_6950-_-14-102-921-_-Product

2. Sapphire 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 Video Card - 2GB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...3913&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10&body=REVIEWS#

Power Supply/Hard Drive Combo

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II PPCMK2S750 750W ATX12V v2.2
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...m2305X575088X79322369acc7d61ea8c4d3723f01f550

CD Drive: SONY Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m2305X575088Xfe1949d2cdf4e8602a072b9669edce6b

CASE: AZZA Solano 1000 Black
Newegg.com - AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case

NOTE: The case I am open to change. I am still looking for the right one. I am wanting a full size case with plenty of room to expand with fans/liquid cooling.

Right now that build is about 1150. Any advise would be welcome. Anything that could save money without giving up anything would be nice :).

Important Question: Does anyone know if I order combo deals on newegg, if I still can get the mail in rebates for the individual items? I have looked around for this and have not found an answer.

Also, this is the most important thing. I am nervous about ordering parts online. I know that newegg is good and I am looking at parts with high reviews, but I am nervous that I will order the parts and I will have trouble with any returns I may need. Any advise on buying parts would also be appreciated.

Thanks for pointing those out. I will look at those tomorrow and get back to you guys. Also thanks for the ram tip. Finding info on ram and a few other things has been more difficult than info on CPUs mobos etc.

If you wanted to use your entire budget, you can get a 6950 instead of the 6850 which would be better for Crysis and make it more future proof (the 750w psu will still be more than enough power for it).

I am definitely going to switch to a 750 PSU after reading a few more things and hearing what others had to say. I like the build above that Trotter mentioned. I don't think I will need that version of Windows though so I would probably go with the normal home premium unless there is some reason not to.

Based on that build and a couple slight changes it looks like I could save about $150. Now I just need to decide whether or not to use that money to upgrade the video card to a 6950.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100312-1GSR Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Here is the 6950 others have recommended to me.

My bad. I thought it was Home Premium, not Professional. :facepalm:

The 6950 can be flashed into a 6970. ;)

Lol no problem on the windows. I was an idiot and never considered looking at combo deals anyway.

What do you mean the 6950 can be flashed into a 6970?

I just updated my build list above.

Thanks Trotter for the combo deals and the link.

I did have a question about the deals that I can't find an answer to elsewhere. If I buy the combo deals, do I still get the mail in rebates option of the individual items? You mentioned $40 MIR above, but I was not exactly sure to what deal this was referring to.

Also, I am seriously considering the 2GB video card for about $30 more. The reviews for the cards look great, and from what I have read, this card would work expecially well for me to game at high setttings on one screen and have a web browser open on the other. Is there any truth to this being possible?

Thank you all for the help.

There were two $20 mail in rebates among the items. You would still have to go through the regular rebate procedures for any rebates involved whether the items were in a combo or not. The rebate is on the item irrespective of any combos the retailer puts together.

I'm not sure about the game and browser, but you would have to have the game in windowed mode to be able to interact with the browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom