PC acting wonky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirtis

In Runtime
My machine has been acting wonky lately, freezing up all kinds last night. It would freeze for about 30 seconds every 3 minutes or so. Everything would freeze from graphics to audio, except the mouse would still work. I ran a defrag, virus scan, and dskchk (or chkdsk - always forget which) with nothing wrong no bad sectors or anything, and am running a memtest86 at home right now to see if the ram is bad.

Do you guys know what could be causing this? The above is copied from a new build thread i started in case my comp is screwed and i need to make a new one. I figured i may as well post in this section of the forum to see if any vets have any ideas. Could it be my CPU? It's about 4 - 5 years old at this point. An old LGA 775 Q6600 G0. My PC is currently not OCed, but i used to OC a little in the past; only up to 2.8 or 3.0.

Check the Windows event logs and see if they show anything going on. Also, run a temp monitoring program and see if it records any temp fluctuations (I use HWMonitor). I doubt your CPU is bad but the thermal paste could be dried out/seal broken (hence the temp monitor).

How much memory do you have?
Are the memory timings at stock settings?
Download hd smart checker, google it, to analyze your hd.
What power supply do you have?
When is the last time you cleaned out all the dust from your case and heatsinks?
And lastly, when is the last time you ran a completely updated malware bytes scan? ; )

WHen i got home last night, the comp seemed to be working fine. Played a game of LoL and it was fine.

i have 8 gigs of ram at stock settings.

i'll check out the hd smart checker, thanks.

I have a corsair 650 PSU, only about a year old.

I haven't cleaned the inside of my machine for probably 6 months or so. It doesn't look too dusty inside, though. I ran a thorough virus scan, but i'll run a full adaware too when i get home.

Thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom