good tests for graphic card performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderdome

Baseband Member
I installed my new 5850 card today, along with a 700W power supply. I am not really noticing a huge bump in performance with this card compared to the old card in the machine (5670). The machine its on is an i7 3.4 ghz, 6 gigs of ddr3 ram. I am getting around 20 fps in secondlife, depending on the sim I am in. Thats pretty much what I was getting before. The drivers are all up todate, running in windows 7 home premium. Are there some good tests to see if my machine is running properly? I was expecting a pretty nice jump up in performance with thsi graphics card.

GPU-Z or System Requirements Lab (online) will give you an idea of what you should be able to run in games, with all your other hardware. As far as your low FPS make sure you have all the updates and patches for the game. On my machine, I was only getting 5FPS on GTA 4, but I installed all of their patches/updates and it went up to 30FPS, big jump. I suggest you do the same.

I did run the 3D Mark program yesterday night, the results were slightly lower then the average for my computer it said. It recommended upgrading my CPU, which wont be happening and I don't think I should need to, its a new i7, or to upgrade the video card, which again wont be happening, its new and the reviews said it was a good card. Could something else be causing the lower FPS?

I did run the 3D Mark program yesterday night, the results were slightly lower then the average for my computer it said. It recommended upgrading my CPU, which wont be happening and I don't think I should need to, its a new i7, or to upgrade the video card, which again wont be happening, its new and the reviews said it was a good card. Could something else be causing the lower FPS?

Some games auto adjust video settings to your video card. Perhaps the settings in second life are all on high/max as opposed to a lower setting before.
What is the maker of your power supply?
Perhaps it can't provide enough amps to power the card.

I put them on high, where I want them and the card I thought should be able to handle that, but even on lowest settings I am getting 25 - 30 FPS.

The power supply is a OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W. I was thinking of doing a clean install of Windows, I am still using the preinstalled version that came with the machine, could there be anything in that? Not sure what Dell loads on, but there was some stuff I closed out when I first started the computer. I was expecting like 50+ fps with this card.

With your video card you should run 3DMark Vantage (DirectX 10 testing) or 3DMark 11 (DirectX 11 testing). Don't get me wrong, 3DMark06 is a good benchmark but it's older and it's only testing the DirextX 9 capabilities of your video card.

I think it was the 11 one I used, I ran something yesterday night. Could anything else be causing low fps? Bloatware on the computer? THe processor is fast, so that shouldn't slow anything down. Are there settings I should be adjusting for the card in CCC? I did not overclock anything, and wont do it with this computer, small case and all, and not sure about heat and s uch.

With your video card you should run 3DMark Vantage (DirectX 10 testing) or 3DMark 11 (DirectX 11 testing). Don't get me wrong, 3DMark06 is a good benchmark but it's older and it's only testing the DirextX 9 capabilities of your video card.

Yeah, you're probably right, 06 is a little dated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom