Worst RAM location ever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of the wires in your way look like those from the front panel (USB, headset, etc). You may be able to bend those out of the way. The plugs for the hard drive and media bay can be unplugged and moved aside. Once you get that all done it should be a lot easier to get into the RAM slots.

If you are going to upgrade the graphics card then you will probably need to upgrade your PSU to feed it. If you do then you can install the RAM at the same time you are swapping out the PSU and have all of its wire out of the way as well.

I went with a low power graphics card, the Radeon HD 5670. My PSU can handle it, so no need to swap that out.

As soon as the RAM arrives I'll sit down and take another gander inside, perhaps with a scissors to cut the plastic bind that holds all the wires together in that unholy bulge. Set some time aside and clean the place up a bit.

I've been amazed with the response to this thread. I didn't think I'd get so much help so quick!

If that model HP is like the HP I had a few years back, the drive bay is modular and the whole thing can be removed as a unit. If you remove the front panel it's possible that there are a couple of screws holding it in place and the whole thing will slide out. Of course you'll need to detach the cables first.

I believe this link has the instructions you require (scroll down to the middle of the page):
Replace Hard drive There's even a video to show you how.

Now that is super helpful! That should give me unrestricted access to the RAM... as long as I'm careful about it. It doesn't look that difficult to do either.

But never fear, I will find some way to mess it up!

U can obviously remove that hard drive cage with a screwdriver. Also, it wouldn't hurt to maybe take all the dust out and zip tie the wires to make it SOMEWHAT nice looking. After that, keep your RAM slots open for when you want to upgrade in the future ; )

Update for those interested.

Got the RAM in, it wasn't THAT hard (read: Required a hammer, several hours and much swearing).

The Graphics Card was a lot easier (read: Did not need the hammer or the several hours, but the swearing was still required).

And then I booted it up and everything is working fine (read: Hasn't blown up in my face... yet).

Thanks for all your help!!! (read: Thanks for all your help!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom