Status
Not open for further replies.

synergy

Fully Optimized
So, I have three options.

1. Keep my GTX 260's in SLI
  2. Get a GTX 560 Ti
  3. Get a Radeon 6950 1GB
The cons of keeping my cards are that they are older tech and cover up my PCI slot, so I'm stuck with onboard sound. I'm also kinda sick of multi-GPU setups. Lots of power, heat and noise for very little gain. But I have yet to have a game give them a problem.

The 560 Ti and 6950 are SO close in performance...and price. I made a little matrix based on the Anandtech review as well as price and reviews from Newegg and the 560 Ti came ahead by a fraction, but I'm still not convinced that's the best choice.

I guess there's a fourth option too, but not likely. That is to get the 560 and keep a 260 dedicated to PhysX, but them I'm still running two cards with the heat and noise issues.

What do you guys think? Which option should I go with? Should I maybe spend a bit extra and get a 570 or 6970? Ugghh...

Hmmm.... Tempting, but I've had to RMA too many video cards to feel good about that. If there were a way to keep the warranty intact (yea...suuurree....) That only works on the 2 GB 6950, correct?

True,

I bought the HD6990 from XFX and I thought it was a bit too powerful for its time. Its really expensive too...Got it for like 800 USD

I'd say either the HD6950 or 6970. Its enough to run Crysis 2 on max settings at any resolution.

Though it is quite unlikely, if you do go for the HD6990, don't worry about the flickering issues in games from the dual GPU. Download the latest Catalyst Driver 11.5. it fixes the flickering.

Cheers. :)

Hmmm.... Tempting, but I've had to RMA too many video cards to feel good about that. If there were a way to keep the warranty intact (yea...suuurree....) That only works on the 2 GB 6950, correct?

Not sure. TheDancingFetus has done it and is currently running one but I don't know what model.

I'd get the 560ti and use the 260 for physx like you mentioned. that seems to be the best performance...but if you don't want onboard sound I'd go for a 6950 with 2gb...and if you're not happy with that, you'll always have the option to flash it, but even if you don't, you'll still have a good card.

I know I kinda bashed the SLI'd 260's but it is still an option. Do you think they are hugely outperformed by a single 560/6950? There obviously aren't any benchmarks with them as a comparison as they are older cards.

The only thing holding me back from the Radeon is the horrible drivers. I have a Radeon 3300 with CCC on my HTPC and the drivers just plain suck. But, in almost all the gaming benchmarks the 6950 came ahead of the 560. How easy is it to flash the card? Is it just a hacked firmware or something? Anyway...I appreciate the suggestions; keep them coming!

Hmmm...actually look really easy. And, if it's just a BIOS update, then it seems like it could easily be reverted if I had the old BIOS saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom