No good...New build won't post

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodyMercy

Baseband Member
So I started with a ASUS M4A79XTD EVO v1.02 with a AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE. Crucial 10600 DDR3 and a Diablotek 550w PSU. Hooked it all up last night and nothing... The onboard LED comes on to indicate power but the Master power switch doesn't affect anything. The only way I can get the system to shut down is by killing power to the PSU. No fan action from the CPU or the chassis fans, I've seen several posts about a BIOS update being needed but how can you update a BIOS if it won't even boot that far. Any suggestions?

Edit: I tried "breadboarding" just CPU and mobo, and the system speaker doesn't even fault w/ no RAM.

Try taking it out of the case, lay it down on some cardboard. Try flipping it on with a flathead screwdriver, touching the two pins that turn it on. Sound like something is shorting.

So even though the onboard LED is showing power it's not sending a signal back or what? I guess I don't follow completely, I always thought power was power...

That was definitely a horrible review, wish I would have researched that better...live and learn right? Is it too much to use my old pc PSU in lieu of them shipping out a new one (diff brand obviously), I believe the wattage is the same. It is about 6 y/o now..

The LEDs on the motherboard are powered by the +5v sbv (stand by voltage). This voltage is never stressed and will usually work when nothing else does.

A power supply supplies +12v, -12v, +5v, +3.3v and +5vsb. Just because a few lights are on or a fan spins doesn't mean the power supply is good.

Your old PSU probably doesn't have the correct connectors.

Surprisingly enough my old PSU did have the proper connectors, I followed MoMs' advice and still no dice. At that point I called ASUS directly went through a couple of steps with him and it was determined the mobo is doa. Even while breadboarding I don't get any action from any fans including the PSU... =( So contacting the seller now for a new one...

So I had the RAM in the wrong freaking slot...what a dope. Grr one board RMAd, for no reason. Hopefully they still credit the purchase...

It doesn't mean that the mainbaord is fried, just put the ram back into the right slots then try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom