Why is my computer turning off??

Status
Not open for further replies.
GPU temp appears somewhat, OK, not great, but OK. Try removing power and all external components from your PC, press the power button to discharge everything, and give her a good dusting, don't use a vacuum as they generally get very statiky and discharge on the motherboard. Once done, check your temps, but your 12v rail, IMO is very dangerous being at 12.7 volts... Should be closer to 12.0 than 13.0.

I just took it outside the other day and took all of my components out of the case the other day, cleaned all of my fans and use a very low power air compressor on it, then I rerouted my cables inside for better air flow :( I've honestly tried it all... so by saying that about my GPU... could my GPU be overheating somehow and shutting it off? I've always wondered about that because it's so large

Could be, or you could have accidentally introduce some charge into one of your components. But I am wanting to lean on your PSU more than anything. Do you have a spare laying around or a friend with one that you can test it out with?

OH OH, just looked at your case, bottom mount PSU, is your fan facing upwards or down wards? I am wanting to bet ANYTHING that for some reason its pulling a lot of heat off of your GPU when it gets upto those temperatures and shuts down due to over heating. If you can, try to see how hot it is, or smell for a "burnt" smell around your PSU on the exhaust side. High voltage, plus the heat from that GPU... Yea...

Or, if you can, run the PC for a little while with the side panel off.

My PSU fan faces up and my GPU fan faces downwards :( You really think that might be what it is? I can try playing a game for a while with the side panel off for a bit, It'll have to wait till tomorrow though because my gf has a bit of homework to do for her class tomorrow but I will surely remember this and test it out. Whether it works or not, you'll be hearing from me :) I'll also search for a burnt smell prior to testing it with the side panel off

The burnt smell would be coming from the PSU, an o-zone like smell is normal, but a sulfuric or other strange smell isn't normal. The reason I suggest to run with out the side panel, is so fresh air can enter the PSU instead of recycled hot air that's at that bottom end.

So I made an attempt to play a game this morning with my case side panel completely off and it still froze, after making 2 attempts to get back online I finally pulled my desk away from the wall so I could get behind my running computer to take a whif of my PSU. I didn't smell anything burnt but it did smell a little hot, I honestly have no idea what it could be at this point and it's rather irritating. I really don't know what to do as of this morning besides take it into a shop which I REALLY don't want to do

strangely enough, I got out of the shower about 20 mins ago and while I was in there my comp froze at my desktop, I can't get it to start back up. Each time my desktop loads it turns off before I can do anything

One thing to check for before you go for a new PSU, look at your motherboard at the capacitors, see if any are bulged up... If not, replace your PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom