unlocking cores? huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a Phenom II 555 BE in my fiance's computer and was able to unlock it to a quad and get a stable overclock to 3.8ghz. I was impressed since I only gave $70 for the CPU, but I got lucky. My friend got the same CPU and mobo, but was unable to unlock any and have the system run. Also to keep in mind when unlocking is that you will be using more transistors, so you will have more power consumption/heat.

No, AMD chips are 4 individual cores, completely seperate so turning 1 off shuts it out. Intel on the other hand works in pairs, so a quad hasx 2 sets of duals.
That was supposed be done away with when the i7's came out making Yorkfield the last paired dual chip. Did a very small Google search, so could be wrong.

That was supposed be done away with when the i7's came out making Yorkfield the last paired dual chip. Did a very small Google search, so could be wrong.

I think you're right on this one, I remember reading something within an article on architectural changes about a year or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom