Need build ideas/input

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallblock

In Runtime
In the last two days I just filled my 120 GB Hard drive on my old Dell 8200 trying to convert my DV video of my daughters birth to DVD. The old machine runs SLOW while I was editing my video and after all the other frustrations I'd like to move on to a bigger/better computer and would like to put it together myself.

I've never built one before, but have changed many of the compenents on the one's I;ve had over the years and think I am up to the challenge with a little guidance. I've researched on the web trying to learn what I want, but there is just way too much damn info. Can you guys help?

I do a little bit of every thing with my computer.... I play games, maintain 2 website, and as of recently edit video. I'd like to build a machine that can handle all of these and not get bogged down.

I am open to suggestions for everything .... cases, hard drives ... the works. I want to build a machine that can be easily upgraded as technology improves (unlike the ability of my Dell).

Right now I can't edit video and run anything else on my computer .... it's frustration. Am interested in possibly running 2 CPU's or setting up initially to be able to add a second one later on.

Thanks for your input!

Well for right now you can am Athlon FX-55(socket 939) and at least 2 gig of ram w/ a 6800GT and it will do everyhting you want. Quite expensive i might add because it is the latest processor out. That is what i recommend for an "anything" computer. For cost effective and performance i say get 1 gig of Corsair TwinX XMS Pc3200 Dual channel DDR an Athlon 64 bit 3500+ Socket 939 and either a MSI mobo or Abit mobo. For video id say a good all round choice is 6800GT. W/ that mobo and processor youll be able to upgrade later on and you have the technology and power to do what you want!

then if your willing to spend the money then get the Amd Athlon 64bit and the ram. You might want to get an 8x card later on though.

You might want to get an 8x card later on though.
His 9800PRO IS 8x what are you talking about? Plus 2 gigs right now isn't really needed....at the current point I believe there's not an insane difference between dual channel 1gb and 2gb only because there current applications don't really gang up on it, but I suppose if you can afford it then go ahead.

But keep in mind, just because you have the money and can buy the most expensive latest hardware...doesn't mean you technically have the best machine...meaning depending on the combination of hardware you can get just as fast a machine without going top of the line. Currently top of the line is mainly prepared for the future, but there's not a real insane need for them. My 2.7GHz can beat out an AMD64 because we aren't in a 32bit environment yet and most applications aren't using 64bit either...but still the AMD64 is quite powerful and the only reason mine currently would win is because it's so high OC'd, but I don't think it'd beat out a 2.5GHz 64, or it may come really close. So that's something to think about. You can get a powerful machine without getting top of the line.

Money is an issue, so I won't be going for the newest thing on the street. Being able to upgrade as the new technology becomes affordable is what I am looking for!

athlon 64 3500+
socket 939 motherboard
your radeon 9800 pro
gig of PC3200 memory (or 2 gigs if you want)
250 gig HD (for video editing, you need all the space you can get)

these should run it all. Make sure you get some quality memory to uphold all those applications (example: corsair XMS). The radeon should do just fine, as it can run anything you want now and more. Make sure you get socket 939, because it will be upgradable in the future. You should be able to get these parts for under $1000 easily.

i would definitely say do not go socket A, IMO it is on the last leg of its journey and shall soon be nothing but a bargain arena. 1 gig of ram is all you need also if you ask me, and id throw the 120 gig in with a slow RPM 250 gig like ak_smallz suggested...

athlon 64 3500+
socket 939 motherboard
your radeon 9800 pro
gig of PC3200 memory (or 2 gigs if you want)
250 gig HD (for video editing, you need all the space you can get)
That could still prove to be somewhat expensive, but it depends on it's budget.

i would definitely say do not go socket A, IMO it is on the last leg of its journey
Not until 64bit is fully utilized it won't be completely out, but it's getting pretty close to the end yeah, but still a couple years because there's a lot of major changes besides 64bit. Now got PCI-E coming in replacing AGP so it'll be a while before things fade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom