hp mini cpu/computer chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since all we're really talking about is speed what can I do to increase the speed of my computer.

Nothing will make it faster. A netbook is made for ultra portability, not heavy use.

The least you can do is run Ubuntu on there. It is less of a resource hog. Did it myself, with my ASUS Eee 1005HA. Now given to a member on this site.

Since essentialy all we're talking about is speed: what are some ways to increase speed?

When you say, "increase speed", you are saying, how do I increase how fast my computer computes. You can't do that. Increasing RAM MAY help, but it will only let you run more programs at once. It will still be "slow" but won't have to move programs between the page file and RAM all the time.

Also, exact computer model would help a lot.

You may not be able to increase it's computational speed but there is a way you might speed it up some. You didn't say which model mini you have but I assume it has an HDD in it. If so, if you replace the mechanical HDD with an SSD the mini will boot faster and applications will load faster since disk accesses are much faster on an SSD then a HDD.

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook that came with a 5400 rpm HDD. I replaced it with an SSD and overall it's much snappier to use. When I click on an app, it pops open very quickly.

While a SSD would be a swell upgrade, the price for it is ~1/3 the cost of the netbook itself. Not really worth it. Plus, not all netbooks have a compartment for the HDD that is easy to access.

What you say about the cost and the accessibility of the HDD compartment is true. It may not be worth it to you but it might be to the OP. I know it was worth it to me.

Well, we don't know that yet. A netbook, ultimately, was not made for speed. Why they are so cheap, they don't perform like a $1,000 laptop.

An SSD in a netbook has additional advantages aside from the speed increase. They are more rugged, weigh less, use less power and produce less heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom