power supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderdome

Baseband Member
I have a new Dell XPS 8300. I am upgrading the powersupply so I can use a more powerful video card. I am a noob at all this, the most upgrading I have done as been ram and hard drives (mac guy). I b ought a OCZ ModXstream Pro 700W powersupply.

Now my question is about the connectors. There are both black and red on the bad:

77122fa6.jpg

How do I know where to plug what into where?

Well, the black are only 6 pins, and the red are 8 pins... So it looks like the red is for extra pci-e cabling, and black are for either sata cables or 4 pin power.

The manual is pretty useless. Is it pretty much if it fits in the slot, then its ok to plug in there? So just find what fits with what?

The manual is pretty useless. Is it pretty much if it fits in the slot, then its ok to plug in there? So just find what fits with what?

Yep, that is a terrible manual.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/res_old/manuals/psu/MXSPRO_manual_allpgs_FINAL_lr.pdf

This might be of some use.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/res_old/manuals/psu/OCZMXSP500-700.pdf

Also, pretty much, whatever fits works. That is usually how it goes. If you look, there are 2 different plugs in total. Both red are same plug (one flipped upside down). The blacks are all the same plugs as well (with 2 upside down).
Chances are, the connectors coming off of all the black plugs are the same or similar.
If there was a major difference, or if damage could be caused by plugging the wrong cord into the wrong connector, then the manual should have stated so.
Plug the cords into wherever they fit and you are good to go :)
If you still have doubt, you could call OCZ technical support at: (800) 459 - 1816

Yep, that is a terrible manual.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/res_old/manuals/psu/MXSPRO_manual_allpgs_FINAL_lr.pdf

This might be of some use.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/res_old/manuals/psu/OCZMXSP500-700.pdf

Also, pretty much, whatever fits works. That is usually how it goes. If you look, there are 2 different plugs in total. Both red are same plug (one flipped upside down). The blacks are all the same plugs as well (with 2 upside down).
Chances are, the connectors coming off of all the black plugs are the same or similar.
If there was a major difference, or if damage could be caused by plugging the wrong cord into the wrong connector, then the manual should have stated so.
Plug the cords into wherever they fit and you are good to go :)
If you still have doubt, you could call OCZ technical support at: (800) 459 - 1816

Thanks, I was assuming this. I read the labels over the plugs, all the black are identical, and the reds are identical, no different wattage or anything coming out of different ones of the same colour. The power supply is bigger then the stock one in my Dell right now, width is ok, but length is longer, might be a bit of a tight fit with the cabling, but shouldnt be a problem. Just need to get my new video card now and put it all together!

Thanks, I was assuming this. I read the labels over the plugs, all the black are identical, and the reds are identical, no different wattage or anything coming out of different ones of the same colour. The power supply is bigger then the stock one in my Dell right now, width is ok, but length is longer, might be a bit of a tight fit with the cabling, but shouldnt be a problem. Just need to get my new video card now and put it all together!

Sounds good. Also, if you are able, you may want to eventually upgrade the computer case. This should allow more airflow and an easier case to work with.

Sounds good. Also, if you are able, you may want to eventually upgrade the computer case. This should allow more airflow and an easier case to work with.

Eventually, it depends on how into it I get. I still prefer mac, no question, it just suits me better. But I do enjoy pretty much all things tech, this is a new venture for me.

Eventually, it depends on how into it I get. I still prefer mac, no question, it just suits me better. But I do enjoy pretty much all things tech, this is a new venture for me.

It takes time before you take the plunge. It did for me at least. It all starts with a few upgrades, then it turns into something more. It eventually leads to building an entire computer :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom