some help needed for an i5-2500k build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordy the new Guy

Solid State Member
Hi guys,
Ive been wanting to make my first build for a while now, and I have been doing some research for a few weeks. I want to build a computer that is capable of speedy gaming on high to max graphics, as well as some animation capabilities (the occasional mid/large scale rendering). I have decided on a few pieces already, but changes to my build are acceptable. heres what I have so far, as well as how i plan on budgeting this system.

CPU: Intel i5-2500k Sandy Bridge
MOBO: No idea- MOBO's are my topic of least knowledge
GPU: i have heard good things about the 500 series of GTX, but not quite decided
RAM: G. Skill 2X4Gig
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (This is seriously sexy, i want it bad, but if this needs to be changed to fit parts, i dont mind too much)
PSU: Can't really decide yet bc i dont know some of my peices power requirements

Any comments would be appreciated, as this is my first build and I want it to go well. The best situation for me would be to spend about $1000-$1200 on this system, with a very easy upgrade path in the future. I need this to last as long as possible, but in about four years it will praobably get replaced anyways

For a motherboard I like the Asus Sabertooth P67. For a GPU it really boils down to how much you want to spend and if power consumption is a priority. I got a reference model Radeon 6950 for $270 and unlock it to a 6970 ($360 card) with a firmware flash. I'm planning on trying to find another reference card to crossfire. I like the ram, Love Antec cases. I have the P183 V3. I am an OCZ fan when it comes to power supplies. Corsair makes some good ones, but they are very proud of them, so you'll pay. OCZ in my opinion is the best value.

The Sabertooth P67 is a nice board but the Asus P8P67 Pro I'm using performs just as good for less money and it's SLI capable.

Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

If your not concerned about SLI then you can save a few more dollars with the regular Asus P8P67.

Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

OCZ makes good power supplies but for the money I would go with this power supply.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

If your considering SLI then I'll recommend this one.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I agree that the Sabertooth is more style than substance, but sometimes you just gotta live large :cool:

Man, I have been out of the loop of Corsair power supplies. Last time I was in the market for a PSU, Corsair's 650w was right at $100. Honestly OCZ doesn't have the same price advantage over Corsair like they used to. Depending on how many HDDs you run in your system, the 650w shouldn't have any problems doing a SLI/Crossfire config. You'll just need some Molex to 6pin adapters.

Depending on how many HDDs you run in your system, the 650w shouldn't have any problems doing a SLI/Crossfire config. You'll just need some Molex to 6pin adapters.

That is just bad advice. If the Corsair 650w was meant to run multiple high-end video cards it would come with the cables. And while the 650w unit may work, for a while, it would be like driving your car 100 mph everywhere you go. The real problem will come when the power supply fails. Does it die quietly by itself or does it take a few components with it.

I found myself with a list of items that are almost identical to OP.

Newegg.ca - SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Would this be a good power supply? I was told to go modular for antec cases as they are huge, and need longer wires.

Also, suggested watt amount for a build identical to the OP?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128473
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131705

Would there be a massive difference between these two motherboards? I need to cut back on the cost a bit.

A friend of mine told me to get a 60GB SSD and throw all my most used programs onto it to improve speeds drastically, and everything else on a normal SATA HD. Any opinions about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom