Rosewill RSV-S4-6G RAID Sub-System problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

redham

Beta member
Hi all,

I bought the Rosewill RSV-S4-6G RAID Sub-System which is a 4 bay usb connected RAID array. ( here are the details from Newegg: Newegg.com - Rosewill RSV-S4-6G SATA 150 & 300 4 3.5" Drive Bays RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, 5+spare, Spanning and JBOD (via Bundled Dual-port eSATA 6Gb/s PCIe 2.0 x1 RAID Controller) ) I set it up in RAID 10 installing 4 ea 2 TB drives, but while setting it up read that Vista can only access 2 TB (not really so sure about this information) so I set the partition to just under 2TB. Now I have three divisions for the array and the third (as can be seen on the attached screen shot) won't even give me an option to make a new volume on it. The choices are grayed out and un-clickable. The second division I can create a simple 50 GB partition no problem. I have done it but then deleted it trying to join the two and three partitions together.

can someone who has setup or knows how to set up a similar system please help me in getting my full 4 TB of storage from this thing? I'm thinking that there must be a way to split each array into two equal parts and use 1/2 for the raid 10 and combine the rest for normal storage.

It came with it's own raid card and management software but I used the bios to set it up. Maybe I should have used the software?

Screen shot is here: http://www.glitterhost.com/myStuff/RAIDArray.JPG
Managing software screenshot here: http://www.glitterhost.com/myStuff/highpointmgr.JPG

Any help greatly appreciated since this is holding me up on finishing my development server.

Many thanks,
Redham aka Russell

UPDATE:

Ok I deleted the array I had built using the bios and rebuilt it with the management software.
Now I have one Unallocated "Disk 4" which is 7451.63 GB. Now when I open the storage management in Vista and right click on the new Disk 4 I have the choices of: "simple, spanned and striped volumes"!
Which do I select? I want to be sure it is a RAID 10 configuration. Will choosing one instead of the of the other two choices cause it not to be RAID 10? OR! Will it simply split the disk into equal parts?

Hello,

Could anyone please lend me hand here? The documentation that comes with the product doesn't go into this area of setup.

Thanks
Russ

I don't know how this forum feels about bumps but I really would like some help here especially since i have my RAID 10 enabled now and showing up in "Computer Management" > "Storage" >"Disk Management".

Does anyone know what choice I should use when I right click my new RAID 10 array, the choices being "simple, spanned and striped volumes"?

Please send me some lovin and help me out with this stupid question.

Many thanks,
redham

NOTE to moderator: If I have posted in the wrong section please move this thread so I can get some help with this. thanks

You are in the right area as this doesn't sound like a troubleshooting problem. I doubt many here have ran into anything of this type, though. If this is for a business setup let me know and I will move this into that forum as you may have better luck there.

I am not understanding why it is asking you to choose one of those options. Unless it is because of the partition size limitation. One possible solution would be to set a single 1TB partition on the drives, giving you a readable 2TB in RAID0 and a backup of eack in RAID1. of course I could be totally wrong as I haven't got to play with these things... yet.

Hello,

I finally called the right support people today. Instead of Rosewell (their support is a JOKE!) I called the raid card manufacturer "Sans Digital". A technician answered and without so much as a transfer confirmed that what I had done so far was correct and told me to choose "Simple Volume" and also told me that Vista 64 bit edition would (and does) recognize the full 3.63 TB of space on one great big wonderful RAID 10 disk where all of my programs, pictures, documents etc. will be protected for life. I can't use the normal path for windows "pictures, Documents" etc. because they would be stored on drive c which is a SSD only 120 GB in size. My net adventure is to reprogram Vista so that these files will go directly to the RAID 10 drive. Temporally I just setup a "Documents", "Pictures" etc. folders on the Raid 10 drive with shortcuts to the desktop.

So, for anyone stumbling upon this thread in the future Vista 64 BIT will recognize a 4 TB Raid 10 drive and choose the create a "New Simple Volume". Select the "assign a drive letter and file system is NTFS, Preform quick format, DON'T Enable file and folder compression.

redham

Not sure about Vista, but what about just moving the folders you mention to the new "drive". In XP, you can just Right-Click the folder and select an option to move it to a new location. Windows will then offer to move all the contents too. (if you have any) FWIW ??

I got one of those sub-systems too, and 4 2TB drives as well, and I'm just now starting to use it on Win7. Eventually, I'd like to set it up sort of like you're doing, but also to include space for intermediate backups.

Thanks for the info on some of what to expect.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom