SATA 3gb VS SATA 6gb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remnant

Banned
Just wanting to know, for gaming purposes how much of a difference will 3gb vs 6gb HDD make?

I'm putting in a radeon 5770 and 16gb DDR3
Ive heard that those make more of a difference then the HDD. Let me know please.

I ask bc if i go with a 3gb mobo and HDD I can save a fair amount of money but I dont want to sacrifice a lot of preformance.

If you don't have a SSD it won't make any difference whatsoever. Most mechanical hard drives aren't even fast enough to saturate a Sata 1.5gb connection.

If you don't have a SSD it won't make any difference whatsoever. Most mechanical hard drives aren't even fast enough to saturate a Sata 1.5gb connection.

Then why do soo many companies advertise HDDs that operate at 3gb/s and 6gb/s.example WD sells cavier blues(3gb/s) and blacks(6gb/s)

Then why do soo many companies advertise HDDs that operate at 3gb/s and 6gb/s.example WD sells cavier blues(3gb/s) and blacks(6gb/s)

Marketing. They are simply advertising the connection speed the hard drive supports and hoping that the consumer incorrectly believes that the drive is actually as fast as the connection it is using.

To put things in perspective even a Wd Velociraptor can't read or write at more than 150MB/s

Marketing. They are simply advertising the connection speed the hard drive supports and hoping that the consumer incorrectly believes that the drive is actually as fast as the connection it is using.

To put things in perspective even a Wd Velociraptor can't read or write at more than 150MB/s

So when I'm looking at HDDs really I should be looking at what? looking for one for my games and OS

So when I'm looking at HDDs really I should be looking at what? looking for one for my games and OS

For WD...

Black = the fastest
Blue= mainstream
Green= low power

so for them you ideally want a Black. For Samsung the F3 and F4 drives are also strong performers. Also I would avoid all 2tb drives as they are supposed to have a much higher failure rate then smaller models.

The only real advantage of 6Gb/s would be for the drive to deliver a burst of whatever is in it's cache... but a 3Gb/s would still be enough to handle that.

You would be better served looking for drives with bigger caches. Some WD Blacks have 64MB of cache.

wow this has all blown my mind and understanding about HDDs :'(
One more question.

The only real advantage of 6Gb/s would be for the drive to deliver a burst of whatever is in it's cache... but a 3Gb/s would still be enough to handle that.

You would be better served looking for drives with bigger caches. Some WD Blacks have 64MB of cache.

If Im looking for preformance like I said Gaming and OS I need high transfer rate and a good cache, how much difference does 32vs64 cache make? (looking at WDs drives)

The difference is usually pretty small, but if you can get the 64MB for the same price (or very close) them get it instead.

Thanks soo much guys you were awesome!

Oo just making sure If my Mobo supports SATA 6gb i could hook a SATA 3gb and it would work fine right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom