How To Mount Win HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSchenk

Baseband Member
I installed linux from a knoppix distro on a spare HD. I can now not see me Windows HD, and had no success getting it to mount. I have set it up the old fashioned way where I use the boot sequence in my bios to boot up to HD1 when I want to play around in linux. Otherwise I just ignore this drive. It should be noted that when I was running knoppix itself from the bootable OS before installing it to HD, I could read/write from/to my Windows drive/partitions (All in Fat32).

Keep your advice simple because I'm more of a troubleshooter than a programmer or command line guru, and am brand new to Linux and none of my friends use it.

Any non-sarcastic response would be appreciated.

first from a terminal as root and type "dmesg | more" return

check if your drive is detected at least by the kernel at boot

then try:
mount /dev/hdxx Y where xx is drive desigantion, example /dev/hda1 is partition1 on master ide cable 1, and Y=an available directory you can mount a drive to, like /tmp, or /hd, check whats available or if have to make a place-->mkdir /hd

if it gives grief over filesystem type add a "-t fat32" after the mount, example:

mount -t fat32 /dev/hda1 /hd

if you want to see the syntax and hints for any command type man <commandname>

Worked by the way! I was away for few days.

Was surprised that it only worked while logged in as root. Even if I signed in as a root shell when logged in as a user it didn't work. I don't mind it if this is a limitation, but if there is something I'm missing, this will be my last question regarding this. Much appreciated! <gr>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom