Formatting Slave Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabe_hacker

In Runtime
I went to format drive withing "My Computer" and went on with the appropriate steps. I click "start" and the warning box comes up, then another message box pops up saying "Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again."

I then went into the command prompt and tried formatting it there. It gave me the following message, "Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume Y/N?" I enter Y and it gives me this, "Cannot lock the drive. Volume is still in use."

I can't find my XP upgrade disk, thus voiding that process.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

*I have formatted this drive before using XP upgrade disk. This HDD is fully operational, no bad sectors, etc.

EDIT - also tryed booting into safe mode and trying to format. I used both methods mentioned above with no success.

Alright I just tried the boot disk but when I restart it says, "Remove disk(s) then push any button to restart."

Any ideas of what the promblem is.

Make sure you start the little file wich you downloaded from bootdisk.com. It will ask you for an empty floppydisk.

It sort of worked this time. I restarted with the disk in; at first I pushed Shift + F5 to go to the command prompt to format there, and it didn't work; I restarted and selected start computer without CDROM support and it took me to a command prompt. Above the active command line it said, "saved diagnostics to drive E:." E: is my slave drive. I tried to format it and it still wouldn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom