Slow BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
On my server, an Intel D945GCLF2 Atom Mini-ITX motherboard, the BIOS seems to take a long time to load. As well, when you go into setup, scrolling between the pages is sluggish. While you normally get instant response moving from Advanced to Boot, I get instead, the page has to reload fully, taking a few seconds more.

I took the normal precautions. Reset BIOS. Try to run on minimal hardware. Tried a different PSU. Nothing changes for the better.

I think that the problem was the Atom CPU overheating. I only noticed recently that it had done so. It could have progressed to this. But I gave the whole system a 48 hour cool down, and seems to run rather cool now. But it may have left ample damage.

Any of you think as much? If so, I'll get a new board, maybe something a bit more than my Atom.

I have a few really, really old machines from the P1 era that takes ages to scroll through the BIOS, processors are good and all, but some reason it's just always really dirt slow. :(

Well, for $82.99, I can get a Biostar N68S+ motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.70GHz.

Biostar N68S+ Motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.70GHz Dual-Core Processor Bundle at TigerDirect.com

This will punish that Atom to dust.

I think that AMD is OEM, but I can find a cheap heatsink for it. I won't be needing much.

Another option would be to buy a processor from Micro Center. I bought my processor there last March because, if you buy a select processor, you get a free motherboard.
This deal has been going on for a little over a year, I doubt it will end soon.
Micro Center AMD Processor Bundle Savings

Looks intriguing. But that would mean I need new RAM. Plus I don't need all that power for a home file server. I guess I could do a little more with it, but still.

the amd will run a lot hotter under the same conditions as the atom. and while the atom's are slow you shouldn't see a major slowdown in the bios, but that being said if it is overheating, which could make sense because when you're in the bios your cpu runs at 100% load generally so that could add to the overheating issue. I think your airflow is just bad in that case. the atom shouldn't be overheating, it's like the lowest heat output of a lot of processors. Before you get an old X2 look into a fusion setup. that might be a better bet. the e-350 is slower than the x2 but it's got much lower heat output

I understand your reasoning, Peter. But still, that is DDR3. I would have to spend more money for the board as well as the RAM.

I think the reason it was overheating, was from the passive heatsink not having full contact with the CPU. I did have a 120mm fan blowing on it, but that was not enough. I had upwards of 70C.

Actually, for the last month, that case was open. Yet it still heated.

I plan to have this open air now. So heating should not be as much of a bargain. Doesn't AM2+ have cool n quiet? So wouldn't that tone down the temps? And loads?

Plus, as I found out last night, it powers up, by a flathead screwdriver, but It does not shut off. I have to pull the power on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom