Any issues with this hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
Taxes finally came in (I'm a procrastinator when it comes to filing) so its about time to get a new rig to replace my rather tired 3yr old Dell Vostro 200.

The idea here is a setup that will last 3-5years, and possibly beyond with upgrades as they become necessary, with a pricetag around 800-1000 usd.

Looking for input on the components. I've read a lot of reviews and am fairly confident with my choices, but want to see if anyone in the community has had any issues with these specific parts, or can suggest better quality/performance parts at comparable prices. (fyi, I'm a bit of an AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU fanboy)

69.99 Case.
88.99 PSU. Didn't seem worth the +$30 for the comparable Corsair 650w, unless XFX is junk...?
149.99 Motherboard.
149.99 CPU.
59.99 Hard Drive.
22.99 Optical Drive.
189.99 GPU.
84.99 RAM. Had some questions about this. I looked at this comparison, they all cost the same and have the same timing, so the 1600 is > the 2 1333 options right?

As is the total comes to $816.92 (+99.99 for Win7 Home 64-bit).
This total does not include package deals, rebates, or shipping. All of that will be taken into consideration once I start the ordering process.

Never used XFX PSU's, but they can't be that bad if they make awesome graphic cards.

I'd rather go with som G.Skill RipJaws, but that is my preference.

I've tried to learn about RAM specs and compatibility, and I am still left scratching my head.
The G.Skill RipJaws costs the same as the other 3 I compared (I think I left it out since it didn't conform to my black/blue motif) and has the same timings and voltage as the G.Skill Sniper, so are the differences just aesthetic? and does the higher (+.15) voltage on the Patriot modules matter.

For compatibility everything says it likes Intel, wheres the AMD love?
MSI doesn't list any of these as specifically working with my Mobo, although the G.Skill Sniper sticks apparently will work.

*Edit - Took another gander at the Mobo page...
"Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600*/1800*/2133* (OC) DRAM, 16GB Max".
Not sure how bad using 1.65v instead of 1.5v could be, but I guess its better to err on the side of safety.

*Edit #2 - Checked my e-mail, Newegg promo for the black/blue G.Skill Ripjaws X. Same price as the other 4 with promo code, 1.5v like the other G.Skill modules, but has 7 CAS latency compared to 9 on the other 4, pick it up?

I would skip that XFX power supply. While it's being advertised as a Bronze 80 Plus certified power supply, that particular Part Number does not appear on the list.

Ecos Plug Load Solutions

I would spend the few extra dollars on the Corsair, it's worth it.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

I would go with this memory, the memory you linked to is DDR3 1333.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Take a look at the Haf 912 case by cooler master. It's $10 on newegg and has free shipping which saves another ~$18. While I don't have it personally I've heard good things about it and will probably get it when I do my next build.

Cooler Master Haf 912

Thanks for the suggestions Slaymate. I was looking at modular PSUs, but probably not necessary, I don't really plan on OC'ing so I guess my case shouldn't get too hot and airflow won't be much of a problem. I didn't think there was a big difference between 1333(cas7) and 1600(cas9) from some quick research, obviously 1600 beats out 1333 but the #s are close, will take another look at 1600s.

Molsen, I checked out most of the Cooler Master cases (along with most other cases). I like the HAF series, but something about the Zalman Z9+ really caught my eye. Was actually a toss up between that and the LIAN LI K57 for the same price, guess I'm just a sucker for a side window.

G.Skill dominates the sweet spot for RAM specs I am looking at, question though. I know everyone loves the Ripjaws series, but are their other series just as good? I was looking at the ECO and Sniper series for low profile.

I don't really plan on OC'ing
Who am I kidding, once the novelty wears off I am most likely going to start playing around with OC'ing a bit and I've heard tell of clearance issues with aftermarket coolers and the Ripjaws fins.

And on that note, anyone know where a good place to research aftermarket coolers is? I figure it'd be easier to install during the build than going in 2-3 months later to do it. Just worried about clearance and size issues, but I guess the easy answer is to go watercooling with something like the Corsair H50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom