Painting Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is going to be open air I'd say go free-form on your wall. I'm not sure what your computer area looks like, but if there is wall space over your monitor it would look pretty cool having your functioning server bolted up there with the parts splayed out in random directions. Hang some monofilament from your ceiling and you could have the HDDs jumping off the wall.

I'm actually planing to mount it to the inside of my desk. I have to make something so I can mount a 200mm fan over it.

I am looking to paint a backplate of a computer case. I think like a flat black will look nice. Only, I'm unsure how to do it. What type of paint will I need? Do I need a primer? Or just get one that has primer and paint in it?

Yep, my lil' server mounted on an older matx case backplate, after drilling out the rivets. I plan to add more to it later. But, for now, how would you paint that? As in, what materials would I need?
Thanks for fixing that Image.

There are a few ways to do BLACK.

Black Chrome:
2Q==

2Q==
View attachment 4748

Black Wrinkle Paint:

100_1246.jpg

Black Crackle Paint:

images

I assume you know what flat black and gloss black look like so I won't include examples.

I'm glad you (seemingly) rejected gloss black as it could look a bit tacky. You might want to try a piece of black paper to see how it looks inside your Case before you actually paint anything.

On bare metal always use Primer. On already painted metal (assuming it was painted correctly) Primer is not necessary, it was already primed. You might consider "Engine Paint", (Enamel). It is higher heat than you need (I HOPE) but it won't stink once it dries and there is heat applied to it.

On new metal (not beat up or rusty) sanding is not necessary. If you are going to sand and are going to use flat black you might consider sandblasting as that will take the least amount of time and give an excellent surface for (first priming and then) painting flat black. Be certain to stick screws in all the holes before you take it somewhere to be sandblasted, though they ought not to be heavy handed on thin metal.

When priming and susequently painting black never use white Primer, always use a dark gray or (harder to find) black primer, as that will make it blacker (not extremely dark gray).

Black Chrome will be the coolest (and most expensive) see this Link at DD's and click on the puny Picture of the Waterblock for a full size Gallery: http://www.dangerden.com/store/dd-gtx480-black-chrome-top-and-nickel-base.html .

Black Crackle is actually two colors, black and the color underneath (that shows through the cracks).

Due to the small Board, and much larger piece of metal, you will want your black to be really nice as it will be a big part of what you see ('open air' now and assuming this is for a Windowed Case someday). Black Chrome would be cool with the lighting (in a watercooled Case) if you can afford it.

For cheapness just get a spray can of flat black Engine Paint and go at it. Use even strokes with multiple coats (don't spray it 'perfect' in one coat as it will 'look thick' and ugly and will not be perfect at all). Read the directions on the can, Google for painting tips.

Attachments

• Chrome_Black_index.jpg
    Chrome_Black_index.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 121
Yeah, I think Black Chrome would be awesome, too. I have to take care of a few things first, but maybe in the middle of the month, I'll get on it. Thanks! :)

Yeah, I think Black Chrome would be awesome, too. I have to take care of a few things first, but maybe in the middle of the month, I'll get on it. Thanks! :)
There is also this place that has totally whack finishes.

Alsa Corp | Paints & Additives

They have Plastic Sheets:

diamond_plate_L.jpg

They also have Spray Paint. It looks like this "Out of the Can" (except the Gas Tank pinstriping 5 images down, of course).

Cobweb:

DSC_0268_L.jpg

MirraChrome Paint (nearly "Chrome", different colors available):

REALCHROME-VS-MIRRACHROME-lg.jpg

ferrari-599gtb2-MC.jpg

mirraandsheeting.jpg

alsa_DSC_1693.jpg

Black Pearl:

abp-14_L.jpg

Mystic (color shifting Paint):

violetdreams_L.jpg

Crazer: