Need some help with a new gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordy the new Guy

Solid State Member
Hiya Techies,

I am working on building my first computer, and I need some part suggestions. I plan on using an i5-2500k as my processor. i also plan on using the geforce 560 ti GPU. I dont know about ram, but i want 8 gigs. My biggest problem is that I know very little about the current stnadards of motherboards, and I need someone with good experience in building to give me some advice on getting this whole build together. I dont plan on using any SSD, but I want a fast, probably 6gbps HD. Any advice on this build, or anyone who thinks that the parts I am currently considering are wrong (and has a suggestion to fix this issue) would be greatly appreciated. For those who wish to know, I plan on using this computer for gaming, as well as animation using programs such as maya. I plan on playing crysis 2, WoW,GW2, and other fps and mmo games. I want this to last aat least three years as a fast comp that will run max graphics at a good fps, so that i can keep up with the best of pvp. Thanks for helping.

Being that you're playing crysis 2...I'm going to say you'll need a better graphics card. It will not be able to run full settings with a good fps.

What is your budget?

Well, with a $1,400 budget, you can definitely get a better video card and probably an SSD. I know you said you didn't want one, but it really increase performance...I'm going give you a list of what I've been putting together for myself:

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Newegg.com - MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.com - XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Newegg.com - LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model UH12LS28 OEM LightScribe Support - Blu-Ray Drives

$1,525.90 <-- That's with the fastest SATA III SSD (I believe it's the fastest)

$1,224.91 <-- That's without the SSD. If you still want to go without the SSD, then you can use the extra 176 off your 1,400 budget and get a better motherboard like the ASUS Deluxe, or a bigger hard drive, or a better graphics card, like maybe a GTX 570.

Thats a pretty sweet build. I suppose i can buy that, but i am not so sure that I need the ssd still. Maybe ill upgrade the card to the GTX 470 and do your build. Also, is there a reason you picked that case? It looks pretty crappy, so unless that thing works miracles with air flow, Im not buying it.

For those of you who care enough to spend the few minutes to say your bit, do you think this build is a good one? Is there anything I can get for the $1500 that would be a better deal for gaming and animation? Should I go with his build, minus the SSD and with the upgraded GPU?

is there a reason you picked that case? It looks pretty crappy, so unless that thing works miracles with air flow, Im not buying it.

Check out the wire management thread, third post down. Granted he is using the Corsair 800D, but I think the only major difference is the 800 is full tower versus the 650 as a mid tower. Still proves that those cases were made for some sexy wire control.

Sorry, that wasn't the case I used...it was one I was looking at...this is the one I put in there (for the price): Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case I hadn't picked out a case yet, so I was looking at a bunch and I added this one to the cart, but copied the link for the other one.. :) (I switched the case on the original post) You'll probably want to find the case yourself; you know what you want for looks better than I do. The only advice I have is full towers are very large, you may not want to go that big.. :)

As for the upgrades besides the graphics card...I'd probably get a larger hard drive and/or a better motherboard. Or, if you're planning on overclocking, a different CPU cooler..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom