Want to build a new computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDRoX

In Runtime
Hello everyone. A few years ago I built my first computer with the help of this forum. This is what I built:

E7400
GA-P35-DS3L
EVGA 256-P2-N733-LR GeForce 8400GS
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Samsung 22" monitor
Zalman 9500
Antec 900

I want to upgrade but know nothing about what's currently out there and popular.

Could you guys please advise me on some similar/comparable items that match my old stuff, but in today's market. In other words, what CPU today is comparable to the E7400 a years years back?

I'd like to start off with choosing a motherboard and CPU. Any good deals out there to consider? I don't play games, just want a fast PC for internet and normal home use.

Thanks

Just upgrade, I guess I should have not said build a new one, sorry.

Really I just want to know what's the best MB and CPU I could get for around $150 each.

Thanks

Just did some reading. Seems like the i5-2500k is the way to go. Just need some advice on the MB now.

Edit: If you are only surfing, you do not need an upgrade. The least you need is a CPU that your board can take, and possibly more RAM.

You know your a newbie when you ask this but does anyone know a good resource to teach yourself how to build your own?

You are on it. :D

There are a few sites that people have linked to that show step by step how to put one together, and you can check on YouTube and find videos showing the same. The best thing is to ask questions and learn hence why I said you are already here.

You know your a newbie when you ask this but does anyone know a good resource to teach yourself how to build your own?

If you have an hour and a half to two hours, Carey Holzman does an excellent video about building a computer, and he doesn't skip any steps.
YouTube - How to build a computer with Carey Holzman. Part 1

If you want a more concise guide, click the link below.
The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom