Painting Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I am looking to paint a backplate of a computer case. I think like a flat black will look nice. Only, I'm unsure how to do it. What type of paint will I need? Do I need a primer? Or just get one that has primer and paint in it?

To give you a better idea:

IMG_0134.jpg

Yep, my lil' server mounted on an older matx case backplate, after drilling out the rivets. I plan to add more to it later. But, for now, how would you paint that? As in, what materials would I need?

Personally, it's a long process for me. I just grab self etching primer, LIGHTLY spray on a few coats, wet sand with 2k grit. Then spray paint it with a few coats of my final color very lightly, though with it being flat black you won't want to sand it as you will see some marks.

I personally use the more expensive Krylon that is meant for metal, plastic, and wood. Holds up good, takes about 2 weeks for the paint to "harden" fully.

I usually wet sand the bare metal 1st with a fine sandpaper, 1000 to 2000 grit.

Dry the panel throughly and then use a Tack Rag to remove any dust or metal shavings.

Then I spray it with primer and wet sand it using #000 Steel Wool, I'll usually do this 2 or 3 times (dry and tack every time) until the primer has filled in all the scratches so the panel looks defect free.

Then I start painting, using the same procedure. Wet sand with #000 Steel Wool, dry and tack, paint (light even coat). Let paint dry. Repeat 2 or 3 times.

I always sand everything, it may not be needed but I know it won't hurt it. Primer can fill any scratches, just give it another coat :D

Since we are in the same vicinity, what do you think I could build off this motherboard backplate?

I do want it open air, but more appealing than just a plate for the motherboard/psu. I can't find any I can base off of that look appealing to me. You guys have any suggestion? I'm not a handyman, but it shouldn't be that hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom