1st timer here lookin for a little help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

idunnoe

Baseband Member
I just wiped my hard drive compleatley because my computer was starting to go wacko, and i had everything just the way i liked it.

but now i can't seem to get things back to normal.
On my old setup i changed something in the registry so that those stupid desktop shortcut arrows didn't appear and now can't seem to get it to work anymore. The book i have says:

"...locate the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Lnkfile key in your registry and remove the IsShortcut value."

But there is no value for the IsShortcut to begin with and i just can't figure it out, i did it before but now it just doesn't seem to want to work.

Also i can nolonger drag and drop icons from the start menu to make a shortcut. Any one know why this is?

also whats the site that automatically looks for the windows updates i need and downloads and installs them for me?

I'd appreciate any help!

OK cool.

1. Right-clicking, drag and drop in the start menu ...

Right click ur taskbar, click properties, start menu and then click the start menu tab. Click customize on wichever start menu u use ( xp or classic ) ...

XP Start Menu =

Click the 'Advanced' tab and in the 'Start Menu items' dialog box, make sure 'Enable dragging and dropping' is checked. Its near the top, you shouldnt have to scroll down.

Classic =

In the 'Advanced start menu options' dialog box, make sure dragging and dropping is checked. Again, its near the top, u shouldnt have to scroll down.

2. Windows Updating ...

You should have a little icon in the top section of your start menu named 'Windows Update' click this and it will open up the page for you.

If this isnt here, right click 'My Computer' > Properties > Automatic Updates. Enable automatic updating ... NOTE: When you have finished updating or unless you want to keep automatic updates running with Windows, turn off Automatic Updates because it can cause a decrease in System Performance.

You can totally disable automatic updating if you goto ...

Start > Run > type ''services.msc'' and disable 'Automatic Updates' and the ''Background Intelligent Transfer Service'' which uses idle bandwith to transfer data between you and Microsoft.

Disabling these will INCREASE system performance and save some resources.

3. Removing Shortcut Arrows

Google a program called TweakUI, its by Microsoft and allows you to tweak lots of hidden settings, including THE DREDED SHORTCUT ARROWS!

Good Luck and I hope this helps you! :D

F

jeez, thanks a lot man
i gotta tell you i honestly didn't expect that good a reply, all the other message boards i've been to were crap....

{EDIT} i got tweakui now but how do i get rid of the arrows?

lol o sorry!

Click the plus sign next to 'Explorer' in the tree-view on the left, the menu you will extend and the first thing on the list is 'Shortcut'. In the 'shortcut overlay' box, check the 'None'. Then click okay and watch the arrows magically disappear!

- ZED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom