computer shutting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcook4109

Solid State Member
I have a situation that is baffling me. I have a system that is shutting off when playing games. It runs fine otherwise It's just like you pulled the plug...no warning. I'm using an AMD 3000+ processor on an ASUS board. My power supply is a Thermaltake 480W. Video is an ATI 9700 pro. The CPU temp does not exceed 57C. I'm suspecting the powersupply, but Thermaltake disagrees and is blaming it on the processor.
Has anybody else had this problem?

HEY! YOUR THE NEWEST MEMBER DUDE!

Sorry this doesnt relate to you problem, but Welcome to Tech Forums!

I had this problem once, I found that it was overheating and 57C sounds pretty high ... any one else think the same?

It could also be the power supply ... have you opened up your case and checked for loose or dodgy cables etc ... ?

ZED

well 57C is really high which most likely the problem, you should invest in some case fans or new heatsink

My amd processor has always ran that high when under a heavy load. I have a Thermaltake case with 7 fans and am using a Thermaltake Volcano heatsink and fan on the processor. I monitored the temp on my last attempt at playing Call of Duty and it shut down at 51C.
Maybe a bad processor from day one?.

Yeah 57C is getting pretty high. I've said this on another post, but with that many fans (7 if I remember correctly) you may have more facing in than out. In other words, you may have say... 5 fans blowing air into the case and 2 blowing out. If this is the situation, switch some around and have more blowing air out instead of in, because having more blowing in can increase air pressure in the case, therefore resulting in higher temps. Room temp approx? (Only reason I ask for room temp is its getting into the colder months, and some people go ape with the heat)! Did you build it yourself? If so... have you ever removed the heatsink after attaching it the first time, because you are supposed to apply a new layer of thermal compound to the processor after doing so.

Yes, I did build this myself. The fans are facing the directions that thermaltake recommends. This crazy system has ran for over a year and has done me pretty well. It sits in the open and not near any heat sources. The CPU temp right now is 44C. Oh yeah, I know about the thermal compound too.
What makes me think it's not an overheating problem is when I changed to a larger heatsink and fan, it would shut off during boot. I think I"ve been over the obvioius, ie. fans, cable routing and so forth. Looks like I'll just take it apart and test each component....there goes the weekend.
Oh, if anyone is interested here it is http://www.marroon.com/geek.jpg

Nice rig man, sorry I couldn't help. Best of luck to you. By the way, 44C isn't bad at all. It still shuts down at that temp?

Thanks, my friends make fun of me. I'm a 50 year old dude who shouldn't be building gaming computers...haha.

It only shuts down when playing 3d games. This is what leads to to believe power supply. I know the ATI card devours power. I post what I find out when I finally figure the damn thing out just in case someone else experiences this. All suggestions are very welcome though
thanks

maybe its a short circut problem you say it only cuts off when playing 3d games so maybe it your graphics card any one else think this might be the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom