Six Core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy05

Beta member
Hey guys I'm still putting together a CPU and trying to do as much research on my PC before buying.

Anyways I notice that i never see anyone talking about the I7-990X Core? All I keep reading is the Quad core threads.

Intel Core i7-990X BX80613I7990X Extreme Edition Processor - Six-Core, 12MB L3 Cache, 3.46GHz, Socket B (LGA 1366), Retail at TigerDirect.com

Thats the one I'm thinking of buying. I want to get into overclocking, and I cant seem to find anyone that has done it with this one, or I'm just missing it. I noticed they are selling even more expensive CPUs, but to me that look slower? Heres a example. hmm I noticed it says server/workstation on the box. im guessing thats why. Keep in mind I'm new to this!

Intel BX80614X5670 Xeon X5670 Processor - 2.93GHz, LGA 1366, 6.4GT/s QPI, 12MB L3 Cache, Six Core, HyperThreading, Westmere-EP, Retail CPU w/ Fan at TigerDirect.com

Is this like the LED Tvs that when you ask about a LED tv some jerk is always like Well there not really LEDs and blah blah blah, but he knows exactly what your talking about! haha just a pet peeve

No one talks about it as its overkill. 90% of applications don;'t use more than 2 cores anyway, so 6 is just wasted money.

Thoses are 1366 sockets whyich are being replaced at the end/start of the year. The 990x is new this year btw

Soul went from a $1300 980x to a 2600k at a 3rd the price and a small bit of performance gain in 50% of things he does. So its not smart to shell out 1000 bucks more.

Xeons are "server" chips in that you can run multiple cpus on 1 board, and are usually better chips... and cost more.

The hex cores are just not worth the performance gain the average person does.

1366 are going to be replaced? So maybe I should wait till next year? I dont want to build a PC and then find out in 3 years I cant replace my CPU because the new ones dont fit into my MB

seems like a new socket comes out every 2 years now on the intel side.
so just buy whatever you can at the moment, technology moves on, regardless when you buy.

1366 was a freak socket. The 920 came out, and exploded. 1366 is the high end socket, and wasn't really ment for main stream, but it did.

2011 socket is meant for high end uses and work machines, not really daily machines. I'd just use 1155 sandybridges and be happy.

I have a 6 core, but its the AMD phenom 2 6 core. Im not a big fan of intel, and for the price of some of their stuff I would rather just have AMD lol, seeing is I like to upgrade almost every 6 months anyway. But yea most softare dont use more than 2 cores to begin with, I could see you buying that intel 6 core than couple months later you get ****ed becuase they have a new one or your socket is outdated haha. Instead of a 1k cpu I would buy a 1k video card :)

as everyone has stated above 6 cores is pretty much pointless at this moment in time as most programs rarely hit 4 cores at max. I'd suggest you go with the i5 2500k which you can overclock if you need to

as everyone has stated above 6 cores is pretty much pointless at this moment in time as most programs rarely hit 4 cores at max. I'd suggest you go with the i5 2500k which you can overclock if you need to

The i5 2500k is pretty much the most popular cpu at the moment. the performance it gives, the potential it has and what is costs gives a very good package. Because is "2500k", it is unlocked which means you can overclock it until it explodes. I believe Slaymate is running his at 5ghz or something absurd. If you have the knowledge, this processor is very good.

I've got the phenom II 1090t. Its a good processor. I didn't want to fork out an extra $200 for a Intel/nVidia build that was theoretically the same as an AMD/ATI build. Plus the phenom II is unlocked. So you can overclock that until it explodes too :D

In terms of pure performance though, the i5 is better than the phenom 1090t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom