i3 vs Core 2 Quad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
in theory, which machine would be faster?

HP Compaq Elite 8000

Processor
64-bit Computing: Yes
Clock Speed: 2.66 GHz
Installed Qty: 1
Manufacturer: Intel
Max Supported Qty: 1
Multi-Core Technology: Quad-Core
Processor Number: Q8400
Type: Core 2 Quad

Mainboard
Chipset Type: Intel Q45 Express

HP Workstation z200

Processor

64-bit Computing: Yes
Clock Speed: 3.06 GHz
Installed Qty: 1
Manufacturer: Intel
Max Supported Qty: 1
Multi-Core Technology: Dual-Core
Processor Number: I3-540
Type: Core i3

Mainboard

Chipset Type: Intel 3450

I couldn't find those two exact processors on tom's hardware...

Toms Hardware Comparison

But i found two similar ones.

Long storey short, not much to separate them. It would depend on what you are doing and if what I have found is actually close to those you've posted.

What is the system surrounding them? Anything else that might separate the two systems?

business workstation for network admin. tyipcal home user stuff, office, pics, email. then techie stuff, recording machine activity, processing large files (trim / analyze data), network scanning.

edit - thx trenk for linking the comparison. it's very helpful. rep'd

edit2 - These are the two pcs. click tech specs for for details

Quad
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/HP-Compaq-Elite-8000-Core-2-Quad-Q8400-2.66-GHz/2179567.aspx

i3
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/HP-Workstation-z200-Core-i3-540-3.06-GHz/2186579.aspx

no worries... like i said, no guarentee on how close they are to the processors in those two machines. Need someone better than I to tell you that... Another idea is to check the older charts... those processors might be outdated.

recording machine activity, processing large files (trim / analyze data), network scanning

This might be a problem. Anything will do the first things you listed. Depending on the processing requirements of each of these items.

A quad core would be better. However, I think thats an older chipset. Whilst it competes with the i3, it still heading towards the "antiquitated" pile. If this is a worth machine, it might be worth while considering something a little stronger. It'll cost more, but it might give you an advantage. Also, you can always write it off on tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom